How long is the removal and replacement surgery for BA? (Photo)

Approximately 21 years ago, I had saline implant procedure by Dr. Charles Fuller (May his soul be forever in Heaven). Today, they have degenerative developed in to "capsular something or another" per my doctor and are like rocks to the touch.

Capsular Contracture

Hello,There are multiple ways of dealing with this problem, however the goal should be minimizing recurrence.  A surgery that removes all the scar tissue in one piece through an inframammary incision gives you the best chance of soft breasts. This surgery can take two hours or more. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in revision surgery of the breast.Best of luck!

How long is the removal and replacement surgery for BA?

Yes it sounds like you have hardening of the capsules and they need to be removed and then replaced. Every one of these cases is special and so it is impossible for me to tell you having never seen you as to how long it will take. Usually those procedures are at leas a couple of hours sometimes more sometimes less depending on what needs to be done. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Time for R&R

A remove and replace procedure will take roughly around 45-60 minutes, it will depend on the incision you choose. An in person consultation will allow a surgeon to go over all of your options with you and give you a more detailed estimate on time. Best of luck! Dr. K 

Robert M. Kachenmeister, MD

Implant replacement

From your description the implants are encapsulated and that will require a removal of the capsule not just and implant replacement. It is difficult to tell from the photo but implants placed over 20 years ago were most likely placed above the muscle. If that is the case it would be a good idea to move them to a position under the muscle.These decisions will require an in person exam to evaluate exactly what is going on and what needs to be done.This is not a simple exchange which generally can be done in an hour.Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in revisional breast surgery.Good luck and I hope this was helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

The removal and replacement of implants should take less than an hour. But that is not the operation you are going to need. In addition to new implants you are going to need a capsulectomy and depending on the degree of capsular change and the experience of your surgeon that can add anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour of extra time per side. If your surgeon wants to create a new submuscular pocket that is going to require even more time.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Capsular contracture

This degree of capsular contracture will require a complete capsulectomy which excises all of the scar tissue. I'm assuming that an implant placed 21 years ago, was placed on top of the muscle. You might want to consider changing that location to placing the new silicone gel implant under the muscle. If just replacing back to the old sub glandular pocket, certainly less time is necessary. Surgical times are so variable that giving you a range really won't help. It usually takes me between one and two hours to complete the surgery. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Capsular contracture

Hard painful breasts require an open capsulectomy with implant exchange or removal per pstient desire. Best of luck to you 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Implant swap

How long it takes depends on how much "capsular work" needs to be done at the time of exchange.  If the capsule is thickened and contracted, it needs to be released or removed, and those things take more time.  The actual placement of the implants doesn't take that long, just a few minutes to clean out the pocket and re-sterilize the area, etc.  Generally 2 hours I'd guess if you need capsule work done.