How to heal huge wounds on my incisions ? (photos)

Hello I had a breast lift and reduction April 18th. And everything was almost healed up and then all of a sudden my stiches under neath my breasts started opening. And spreading. And getting bigger. My doctor put me on antibiotics to prevent it from infection. And says to keep them dry. Well it's almost impossible when your boob hangs over the incision to keep it dry ? They aren't healing. Is there anything I can do to heal them ?

Needs treatment

Most plastic surgeons would recommend antibiotic ointment and dressings to get these to heal.
Dry treatment will be very difficult due to the size of the defects.

Problem with Breast Lift and Reduction Incision

It appears that your best bet is to return to your surgeon and schedule a consultation in person to have the incisions examined and ensure that there is no infection. While post-operative healing can take up to two weeks, it is now May and I hope that you are seeing improvement since the post of your question. If you are still have troubles all I can suggest is to see your doctor immediately. Best of luck to you!

Thank you for the question and the photos and though an examination is needed I would have started you on silvadene cream as wounds heal better in a moist environment (bacteria free) then a dry one.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Wounds on my incisions after breast lift

Thank you for the question and the photographs. While a picture cannot take the place of an in-person evaluation, it would appear as though you would benefit from debridement of your wound and good local wound care. I typically do not recommend for my patients to allow their wounds to dry as this dessication can be harmful to the tissues, rather I try to keep the wound clean and moist. I recommend to discuss with your plastic surgeon as soon as possible. Best of luck.

Breast lift - delayed healing

Thank you for asking about your breast lift.
  • I am  so sorry you are going through this.
  • Actually keeping wounds dry is not always the fastest way to heal them.
  • Your wound looks as though it needs some surgical debridement and either hydrogel dressings or 3 -4 x a day wet dressings.
  • I suggest you see your surgeon - s/he should take care of this with you.
  • But if your surgeon lets you down, find a wound clinic to help you with this wound.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

See your doctor now

This needs to be addressed with your doctor immediately.   You may have an infected stitch that needs to be removed.  This may need surgical debridement and possibly even a wound VAC to get this healed.  This will likely not heal on its own and needs to be addressed with your doctor right away.

Kimball M. Crofts, MD
Orem Plastic Surgeon