Do I Have a Pollybeak Deformation? (photo)

So far I've only had one closed rhinoplasty procedure about a year and a half ago. I'm satisfied with the left side of my nose but, I've noticed that on the right side of my nose, a lump has developed. It feels hard, could it be scar tissue? Could it still be swollen? Would I have to have a revision surgery and if not, what are other options because I'm afraid that tampering with my nose anymore would lead to irreversible damage.

Doctor Answers 8

Pollybeak Deformity

     There are usually two causes for pollybeak deformity under or overresection of certain parts of the nose.  The most common is to leave a little cartilage before the tip. This can usually be corrected through a closed approach in a few minutes, but discussion and exam with your plastic surgeon is prudent. 

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 492 reviews

Polybeak Deformity Following Rhinoplasty #nosejob

We define a "Polybeak" as a person who has residual fullness in the supratip area as it seems that you do. It can be from residual cartilage left behind or from scar formation in this area. However, you could also just have a tip that is not supported in it's projected position causing the appearance of a Polybeak. This would require careful analysis by your surgeon and if it is indeed excess cartilage that is pretty straight forward to remove. If it is early scar then you can sometimes inject steroid. You need a physical exam to define which one of these is occurring.

Richard J. Brown, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 49 reviews

Revision rhinoplasty can work.


This will need to be corrected.  It is not a typical pollybeak, but it is a lump which needs to be smoothed out.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)
Manhattan Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

You appear to have excess cartilage at your lower bridge and an underprojected tip.

I would have to classify your condition as a "polybeak", although I do not like this verbiage. This appears to have developed from lack of tip support and projection. You could consider an injectable filler procedure to soften the appearance by raising your bridge above the bump. Or you may require revision rhinoplasty surgery to remove the bump and add tip support and projection.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 418 reviews

Pollybeak Deformity Following Rhinoplasty

It certainly looks like you have a pollybeak deformity. It could be from scar tissue formation and/or residual cartilage contour. Either way, it can usually be corrected with limited revision work. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 40 reviews

Pollybeak Deformity

Yes, I would say that you have a pretty obvious cartilaginous pollyneak deformity.This can be corrected by removing the more cephalic (pollybeak) septal cartilage.This should be pretty straight forward. See link to learn more about pollybeak deformity.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 272 reviews

Bump after rhinoplasty

Dear GLKde982,

  • Your treatment options all depend on what the bump feels like
  • I would go to your original surgeon with your concerns to see what he/she says

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 74 reviews


Dear Glkde982,


I see the "lump" you are referring to.  It is most likely either scar tissue or cartilage.  Without examining the area, I couldn't be certain.  Either one could be treated surgically.  If it is scar tissue, some surgeons might use steroids to reduce the scar mass but that has its own risks.


You should see your surgeon and have them address the "lump".  It is unlikely to be swelling 1.5 years post-op.



Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 35 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.