Do I Have Pollybeak and Can It Be Fixed if I Have Thick Skin?

I had an open rhinoplasty in 2005 and have disliked my tip ever since. After reading about pollybeak online, I believe that's what I have. I knew it was swelling in the beginning, but even years later it still feels like the tip is swollen. What would need to be corrected to give me a better result?

Doctor Answers 7

Pollybeak deformity

The quality of the photo presented is not sufficient enough to make a decision on whether or not you have pollybeak.  Clear side profile and ¾ profile photos would need to be visualized with good clarity before making any decisions on whether or not you have a pollybeak deformity.

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 143 reviews

Polly Beak Deformity following Rhinoplasty

Thank you for submitting your photo. It does apear that your nasal bridge is prominent just above the nasal tip. Yes this is often referred to as a “polly Beak”. Revision rhinoplasty can be performed to reduce the cartilage and soft tissue that has formed. It is important also to ensure that the nasal tip is properly supported so that it maintains its position and does not droop afterward.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 105 reviews


Although the picture is not clear, it appears you do have a pollybeak deformity. After five years this will not improve. It can be corrected by reducing the convexity and/or augmenting the profile line. See an experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Pollybeak deformity

A polly beak deformity is usually soft tissue and swelling just above the tip. It is difficult to tell from your photograph.  A good exam would be helpful and this certainly can be corrected if it is true.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 28 reviews


First, thanks for being so kind as to post your photo. YES! you have a supratip deformity or "polly" beak. Secondary rhinoplasty revisional surgery can correct. Find the right doctor.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Darryl J. Blinski, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 173 reviews

Pollybeak or Bulbous Tip, Both Can Be Improved with Rhinoplasty


It appears that you have a bulbous tip more than a polly beak from the dimly lit photo.  Best to consult with a rhinoplasty surgeon experienced in revision surgery.  At time a diagnosis can be made, as well as a plan to improve the appearance of your nose.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

Pollybeak is a term describing when the area just above the tip of the nose is highest

Polly-beak describes, in an un-flattering way, when there is excess roundness and height to the area just above the tip of the nose and it looks like the term says, a parrot's beak. This is treatable but requires an examination by a revision rhinoplasty expert to determine the cause and create a surgical treatment plan.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 125 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.