Can I be sure that septum straightening won't lead to any other shape changes? How dangerous, complex and long is the surgery?

As a kid, I had my nose broke few times. It doesn't look too affected from the front, however, my septum is visibly crooked.

Postoperative recovery after septorhinoplasty / nose surgery

Procedures for a septoplasty, or straightening procedure is a relatively common procedure that involves "inside" incisions.  The procedure does not usually change the shape of the nose on the outside and does not usually have any bruising around the nose and is a procedure lasting about an hour, though if combined with other procedures of the nose may last longer...

GreetingsThank you for your question. There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations. In the operation that needs the bone and cartilage tissues to be involved; open approach is used. In the procedures with open approach, the size, shape and functionality of the nose can be improved. The big nasal bumps can be removed and septal deviations can be corrected providing a better nasal airway.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Septum surgery

I often find that treating a crooked nose is not just isolated to the septum. Bony work is often necessary as well.  

Functional septoplasty for breathing, rhinoplasty to straighten crooked nose

A septoplasty is performed in the back of the nose to improve airflow dynamics and will not change the shape of the nose. A rhinoplasty is performed for functional purposes only, once medical necessity has been documented at the time of the examination and consultation. A rhinoplasty procedure is performed to straighten the crooked nose. Osteotomies placed in the nasal bones and cartilaginous  spread or graft are usually required to make the nose much straighter. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below