What is the minimal size of implant I can get during 2nd augmentation? (photos)

Last December I got 375cc implant with incision around areola. Could it be possible to get 800cc or 700cc Natrelle ExtraHP implant next time? Is it possible to place so big implant through the same nipple incision?

Keller funnel

You appear to have a nice result from you previous augmentation which makes changing them out easier as there is likely not much work that needs to be done to the pocket. Yes, a larger implant can be placed both through your previous scar with the use of the Keller funnel which allows even very large implants be placed through a small incision or the under arm incision. If you preferred not to use your previous scar, the under-arm would be a nice alternative and again, a large implant can be placed easily through a relatively small scar using the Keller Funnel. Dr Scott Ennis

What is the minimal size of implant I can get during 2nd augmentation?

Can it be done? Yes? Is it a good idea? Not so much. That size implant on a small frame will ultimately cause damage to your tissues that cannot be repaired. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for your question.  Keep in mind that an 800cc implant is very large and would thin out your breast tissue and skin and increase the risk for complications down the line, like capsular contracture and disfigurement. Ultimately, an in person evaluation would be required to determine the best size for you.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Larger implant

The incision size will need to be larger for the larger implants.  You do not have a well defined inframammary fold.  I would recommend an underarm incision.  A larger implant can be placed and a large scar would not be necessary around the areola or in the inframammary fold on the breast.

Going larger in size during 2nd augmentation surgery

Thank you for the question.   Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. Yes, I have found that it is possible to safely use the infraareolar incision for implants of all sizes.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as  “XL” or "larger” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.  Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers. I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to larger breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes. 

Your doctor will be the best one to tell you what size you may use. An 800 cc implant very large and heavy, and may be too heavy for your neck and shoulders. Please ask to try on a 425 cc implant so you can feel the weight.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

What is the minimal size of implant I can get during 2nd augmentation

Patients who want to go large with augmentation do it in stages.  This sounds like what you are wanting to do.  Your surgeon will measure you and determine how much larger you can go.  

Robert E. Zaworski, MD