Plexiform Neurofibromas, What Type of Doctor Would Be Best for Removing?

Who would be the best person or best capable, a Plastic Surgeon, Nero Surgeon or a Dermatologist to remove these in the cutaneous and subcutaneous underneath the upper lip? Thank you.

Doctor Answers 2


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

i would recommend you to seek a board certified plastic surgeon. I have many patients with your problem already in my practice.

New York Plastic Surgeon

Neurofibroma of the Lip

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Plexiform neurofibromas are complex tomors that may or may not involve the skin. They usually cause distortions of the surrounding structures due to their mass creating what can become severe cosmetic deformities. The tumors are not generally malignant but can become so over time. They do not need to be treated like a cancer but are usually made smaller by a procedure called "debulking". It is imperative that this problem is treated by an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Paul S. Howard, MD, FACS
Hoover Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.