5 weeks post op of Gynecomastia surgery, my nipples are puffy and pointy. Is this normal? (photos)

Ok so today is 5weeks since my gyno surgery. I have the arthroscopic shaver technique Anyways I know most of you will just say give it time because it's still early. But my question is I was wondering if it is common to have puffy nipples now and still have that gyno look to me? . They still look pointy. Is this common 5weeks out? Thanks so much for anyone who responds to this! I appreciate it so much

What to Expect While Healing After Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Gynecomastia post op swelling

In my experience, it really takes at least four months to have a good idea about the final result after gynecomastia surgery.  I can see what you are concerned about in the pictures and if you were six months out I would recommend a revision, but honestly, at five weeks this may very well just be swelling.  I know waiting it the hardest thing to do, but that is exactly what you should do.  Please don't jump on any further surgery until at least 4-6 months out from the original.  This may all resolve beautifully.  Best of luck to you.  

Melinda Haws, MD

Gynecomastia

you seem to benefit from liposuction of the anterior chest and the lateral chest to contour the chest area.