Anything I can do to make my left breast look smaller and rounder like the right? Why is it like that, is it my anatomy? (photo)

It's probably just my bad anatomy. My doctor did a beautiful job, and I love my implants! However, there's one thing that bothers me about them. The left one appears larger looking and instead of having a rounder shape like the right, it has a more oblong, vertical shape. My left breast was naturally larger before my implants, but I wish the implants were rounder at the bottom, & smaller up top (width-wise). Maybe that's why my doctor suggested shaped? I also seem to have scoliosis. Thoughts?

Breast asymmetry after breast augmentation

Everybody wants perfect symmetry with breast augmentation.  Patients want symmetry with their results and doctors want to be able to create symmetry.  The reality is that symmetry is simply not possible, it just doesn't exist.  There are always subtle differences between breasts.  Maybe one side is a little bigger than the other, maybe one side is wider, longer, has a higher fold, more prominent ribs, a nipple that points a little up or out, etc.  Taking preoperative pictures and examining them with the patient to point out the subtle differences is an important part of the preoperative education process.  Breast augmentation often amplifies any differences because it makes the breasts bigger.  When everything is magnified it is easier to spot the differences.  Most patients appreciate discussing their preoperative breast shape before surgery.  Only when they step back and critically evaluate a picture of themselves do they notice the subtleties.  I do this only to help improve patient satisfaction.  Every patient will spend more time looking at their breasts after surgery than they did before and they'll notice every little difference.  Knowing that those differences were present before surgery helps put them at ease afterwards.  Breast augmentation makes the breasts fuller.  The minor differences between sides can't always be improved.  Using different types of implants or different sizes can help with some breast aysmmetries but not all.  Understanding the limitations of the surgery and excepting what can and cannot be changed is an important part of patient education.  So that being said, without seeing the preoperative pictures it is impossible to tell if the visible differences in the pictures are the result of surgery or simply the natural progression of the preoperative asymmetries.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon but I suspect it wouldn't be worth it to proceed with a revision.  Best of luck. 

Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Implant differences

Preop photos would be helpful to determine if you had asymmetry to begin with.  Otherwise, they look within normal limits.

Breast asymmetry

From the look of your photos, it does appear that the left breast is a little bigger than the right. This may be a magnification of what you had to begin with which is not uncommon. I have found it useful in my practice add fat grafting as a secondary procedure to even out small discrepancies in breast size or shape that cannot be corrected by dissimilar size breast implants. My patients like this hybrid type method because it allowed them to have symmetry that will remain despite changes in their weight throughout their lives. Ask your plastic surgeon about their thoughts in this regard. Good luck and congratulations on your surgery it looks quite nice.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Mild Breast Asymmetry

Thank you for your questions and your pictures, and congratulations on your breast augmentation!  If you are still early in the recovery process, likely both of your implants will settle into the position you are looking for (rounder at the bottom).  If your left breast was larger to start with it will never perfectly match your right side, which is completely normal.  Keep in touch with your surgeon and good luck with the rest of your recovery.  

Breast Asymmetry

My guess is that what you're seeing is actually due to your "natal" breast asymmetry. I know it's frustrating to not see perfection when you look in the mirror, but your results look terrific. And frankly, all women have some degree of breast asymmetry. I would say learn to live with this. If you can't, then speak with your surgeon about revision options. Best of luck, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Breast augmentation question

It would be helpful if you have a preoperative photo to post. I think what you are seeing is the fact that your left breast was larger to start with. These starting asymmetries continue to exist following augmentation and can appear amplified by the implants. One option is to use different size implants to account for different starting breast volumes. I think you have a nice result with acceptable minor size and shape differences. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Anything I can do to make my left breast look smaller and rounder like the right? Why is it like that, is it my anatomy

Thank you for your question and photo. You did not mention when your surgery was performed.  A pre op photo would be helpful.  You appear to be very early in the recovery phase from breast implant surgery. Over the next few weeks your breasts will change. Final results take 6 months. If your breasts were asymmetrical, the implants will not change the anatomy only increase the volume of your breasts. Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.  Best Wishes.

Tolerance to small asymmetry

In breast surgery, some tolerance to asymmetry is warranted because of preexisting asymmetry and chest wall abnormalities makes symmetry impossible.
You have a great result overall but I would have discussions with your surgeon if your problems can be addressed.
Best Wishes,
nana Mizuguchi

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS