Could you please talk about the risks and effectiveness of the laser-like lipo? I'm considering it because is non invasive

I had a traditional lipo 16 years ago, but I regained all the fat back. I'm considering this technique because it is non invasive and less expensive than traditional lipo. I don't want to face surgery/anesthesia risks.

Risks and effectiveness of laser lipo

Laser Lipo is a liposuction technique where a laser is used to melt the fat and tighten the skin in combination with liposuction. It does require small incisions through which the laser probe and suction cannula are inserted under the skin and therefore it is considered minimally invasive. In our office we treat all areas under local anesthesia and our patients are awake during the procedure.The results and risks are dependent on the doctor performing the procedure. In the hands of a knowledgeable physician it is a very effective and safe procedure, so make sure you get treated by experienced doctor. The main risks include infection, skin or tissue irregularities, hematoma (blood collection under the skin) and inadequate fat removal. Good luck.

Livingston Physician

Laser Liposuction

Laser liposuction is an effective alternative to traditional lipo, but it is NOT non-invasive. It is minimally invasive, using small incisions to insert a cannula which suctions out the fat. Laser liposuction has a much shorter recovery time than traditional lipo, and much less risk. Schedule a consultation with a surgeon for a more thorough explanation of you could benefit from laser liposuction instead of traditional lipo.

Eric Seiger, DO
Fenton Dermatologist

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

VASER HI DEFINITION is the best type of contouring and shaping liposuction that exists.  I suggest you see an expert. I have found laser to be less effective, although what matters most is who does the procedure.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Laser Liposuction

Good Question.  There is a misconception that laser liposuction is non-invasive.  It is minimally invasive because it still requires an incision and for the laser fiber to go under your skin.  Additionally, if any fat is actually going to be sucked out at the same time (which I highly recommend for the best results) then the fat suction cannula also has to be placed under your skin.  For very small areas (chin, elbows, knees, etc) it is possible to do under strictly local anesthetic.  However, for any larger areas or for a more aggressive result, then in most cases we suggest IV anesthesia as well to help with patient comfort and safety.  The laser step in the procedure helps melt the fat and stimulate the collagen in the skin.  The advantage is a potentially enhanced result over regular liposuction with increased skin tightening.  It is best to review your individual case in a consultation to determine which procedure is best for you.  Also, another misconception is that fat "comes back,"  The fat that you had removed at your previous liposuction did not come back.  Any fat cells that were still there after the procedure grew.  The best way to maintain liposuction results is good diet and exercise.  If calories go in the mouth, then have to go somewhere on your body.  

Good Luck

David Shafer, MD