Would I be safe by upping my cc's by 25 cc? Do most patients and Dr recommend this?And have they been happy?

I had 2 consults last week. One Dr. recommended 300 and 325 and the other 325 and 350 because 1 of my breast is larger. I decided to do 325 and 350 which will put me at my goal of looking full and natural without looking top heavy. We are going through the nip, under the muscle, and moderate profile plus. This going to be my only boob job. After some thought, I'm thinking maybe doing 350 and 375. I will definitely talk to my surgeon at my pre op. Thoughts and advice?

Would I be safe by upping my cc's by 25 cc?

A difference of 25 cc more or less is equal to less than 2 table spoons of volume.  Go with the larger sizes.

Without a physical exam, it is difficult to say whether or not an increase of 25 cc in a breast implant would be in your best interest.  Discuss this issue with your surgeon.  He/she will be best able to counsel you on the size and type of implant which would serve you best.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Your breast implant size should be determined by measurements of the base width of your breast.  Please revisit her plastic surgeon for an examination and discussion.  If your first consult recommended 300 cc or 3 25 cc based on your breast base width measurement you may need to choose a high profile implant to increase your size to 375 cc.  This is a very important decision and should be made in consultation with your plastic surgeon.  Please do not follow Internet advice.

Would I be safe to upsize 25 cc?

I think this is a very reasonable option for you as long as your chosen profile still fits your frame, and with only a 25 cc difference, it should.  The most common complaint that I get after augmentation is that women wish they had gone slightly larger, so I think you will be fine.  One concern that I have, though, is that you mention that this will be your only surgery on your breasts.  Keep in mind that the implants are not lifetime devices and can break or have other problems, which I'm sure your surgeon discussed.  Statistically, 20% of women will have another surgery on their breasts within the first 10 years.  Not trying to scare you, just something to keep in mind.  Best of luck with your surgery! 

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Dear courtneyerin

This is a conversation that pretty much every plastic surgeon has on a daily basis with his or her patients. In general, 25cc in 300cc is a small percentage. For conversation purposes, lets say you have an additional 150 cc of your own breast tissue (an A cup) now you are looking at 25cc in 450 of new breast. Thats about 5% and most of the time not noticeable. 
In my experience, most women getting an augmentation would go slightly larger.... Your plastic surgeon who has examined you and has observed your personality will be your best help in this decision making.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Selection of breast implants.

My advice to patients is to make it clear to your plastic surgeon what your size and contour goals are and allow them to make the selection during the surgical procedure when they can observe the actual results. I do not think it should be the patient's responsibility to choose an implant prior to the procedure. In my practice I feel I can estimate with 85 to 90% accuracy the best implant for my patient but have found that 10 to 15% of time during the surgical procedure the patient requires a larger or smaller size to achieve their size and contour goals.
Discuss your preferences for size and contour with your surgeon and allow him/her to make the best choice based on the actual appearance of your breast during the procedure. Good luck and best wishes.
Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Size Choices

Thank you for your question. If your Plastic Surgeon lets you know that the two larger sizes will fit you based on your measurements then by all means, that would not be a large or significant increase.

All the best

Safe to increase cc's by 25?

Thanks for your question. Many patients worry that they're not picking the right volume for breast augmentation. All of the volumes you've referenced are within a similar size range. Remember that 30cc is 1 ounce...not very much. So, in practice we would not expect to see a vast difference in the post-surgical breast size with that small increase in volume. Also, when you make a decision to undergo breast augmentation, you are guaranteed to have further breast surgery down the road. I'm glad to hear that you plan to review your operative plan with your surgeon...very smart. Best wishes.

Michael F. Bohley, MD

At that size implant, a 25cc difference is pretty much unnoticeable so by all means go up if you like. You need to be very clear that there is no such thing as only one breast augment procedure in your life. Once you have undergone breast augmentation there is always another surgical procedure in your future of one kind or another. No one expects implants to last a lifetime. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants / Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/ Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute