Do I have gyno? Or is this fat? (photos)

I have had this since I was young and I'm not sure if it requires surgery or I just need to cut down on fat. Any help is appreciated thank you.

Doctor Answers 11

Who is a Gynecomastia Surgery Candidate

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. 

About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 
There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding.
Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon in person, is highly suggested in order to determine if you are a surgery candidate and what treatments are best for you.

May be a combination

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
How should I choose a surgeon? Choose carefully. The decision is yours. Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter. 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery? Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Do I have gyno? Or is this fat?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
A bit difficult to determine by pictures alone, but surgery can definitely improve the appearance.  

Kenneth Hughes, MD

Beverly Hills, CA


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. You may have a little excess fat and breast tissue. An in-person exam with a board certified Plastic Surgeon will be the best way to find out.

An excess growth of breast tissue cannot be reduced with weight/fat loss so it may be a good idea for you to lose the excess weight you have first and see if you note an improvement to the breast area with weight loss alone.

 Gynecomastia affects all shapes and sizes of men- slim ones as well. The surgical techniques used to address this can be quite simple and relatively minor. I recommend that you book your in-person consultation with a Plastic Surgeon who specialises in this procedure and find out about your options.

All the best

Do I Have Gynecomastia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi YoAdrian69,
Thanks for the post and photos. The best way to determine whether you have true gynecomastia is with a physical examination. I recommend to all of my patient to be at a healthy weight that they can maintain long term prior to surgery. If you aren't at that weight now, I recommend getting to that weight and seeing the effect on your chest. If you have excess breast tissue, it won't change with weight loss and that requires surgery. If you get down to a good weight and your chest still feels as if it is full, then excision, liposuction, or both may be an option.

Dr. Dadvand


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If your breast are disproportionately large compared to the rest of your chest then reducing the size can be an option if you are not bothered by any other areas. If you have issues with excessive weight then lose the weight you want and the breasts may improve without surgery. If not then surgery is still an option.  Best of Luck    Dr Harrell

Gyno vs fat

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the photos.  You have a "puffiness" to the chest that leads me to believe there is a larger than normal glandular component to your breasts. An exam would help, of course.  But in the end, fat or breast, if you can't lose it then the solution is the same in either case.  Surgery.

Gyno or fat

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Gynecomastia is a combintation of fatty and glandular breast tissues in males; you definitely have a fatty component but whether this is a glandular component can only be determined by a physical examination. the glandular component can be appreciated by pinching tissues behind you areolas which will feel firm. Please see examples below to get an appreciation of what male breast reduction surgery would do for you.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for the question and at a consultation by an expert in the field he should be able to determine what the tissue is and if not may suggest a mammogram to rule out breast vs fat.  If you have had the tissue since puberty it may be true gyno.  If you have always been a heavy kid then  thinning down may help if it is fat but even in that situation liposuction may be need to truly flatten the chest.  So see some experts in your area.

Dr. Corbin


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It's certainly worth a major effort to get down to what you would consider your normal weight and see if the situation is still there. You could then consider surgery if necessary. If it is it can be performed through a tiny incision inside your armpit without a visible scar on the front of the chest. Make sure you have at least one or two consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons who do this operation regularly. Hope this helps.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.