How long can I expect Botox induced ptosis to last?

8 days post Botox, I developed a droop in my right eye. The iopodine drops work very well in the morning, but are less potent in the evening when my eye is tired. I keep seeing very different ranges of when I can expect this condition to improve. Is 2 weeks realistic? Or should I brace myself for a much longer time to heal?

How long does a droopy eye last

Hello Anonymous,

I would be prepared to have the effects for the full three months until the Botox wears off.  In most cases it will improve well before this (sometimes within a few weeks) but since this isn't guaranteed, I say prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  You can also discuss your dose of iopodine with your physician to help more in the evenings. 

I hope this helps and good luck.

The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eye drooping after Botox

Eye drooping can last 2-8 weeks typically. Botox and should only be done by a board certified dermatologist. Good results can be seen when performed by the right physician. I would suggest discussing your issue of ptosis with board certified dermatologist at the time of a visit to see what options you may have. 

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox and Ptosis

Botox takes 3-4 months to wear off but often the ptosis improves in 4-6 weeks if it occurs.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Botox and ptosis

Botox is a side effect of ptosis that can last a few weeks to up to 3 months.  The drops work better in the morning but as you get tired you may need to repeat.  The condition will get better every week until it resolves.

Ptosis

Thank you for your question.  The effects of Botox can last anywhere from three to six months.  Please be patient.

Usually A few weeks depending on dose and type of ptosis

Complications of botox are rare and only temporary, but may include paralysis of other nearby muscles,temporary eyelid ptosis (dropping of eyelids, 2% risk, lasts 2-3 weeks), temporary brow ptosis (dropping of eyebrows, 2% risk, lasts 2-3 weeks), cross-eyes, ectropion or edema of the lower eyelid, dry eyes, double vision, transient headaches (10%), local numbness (lasting 2-3 weeks), flu-like symptoms, rash at the injection site, pain at the injection site, infections, and bruising. If it is persistent or you are worried, set up a follow up appointment with your dermatologist.

Alim R. Devani, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologist

Ptosis solution after botox : iopidine

Dear Patient,

This all depends on the amount of botox injected and to what area and it can take to 3 months to resolve. There are some drops called Iopidine which can alleviate the degree of ptosis. Ask your doctor about them and let him evaluate you to see if it is helpful for you.However, as long as the lid is paralyzed you will have to use the drops. Since it works for you just keep using it. Normally 3 drops every 8 hours till it resolves.
Best regards,

Dr. Nabil Fakih

Nabil Fakih, MD
Lebanon Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ptosis from botox

This all depends on the amount of botox injected and to what area the botox was injected.  As mentioned, there are several drops that can alleviate the degree of ptosis for social occasions etc., but they are temporary.  Only time will tell. 

Chad Zatezalo, MD
Chevy Chase Oculoplastic Surgeon

Post-botox ptosis

Unfortunately it can last as long as 3 months but I've seen them resolve in 3-4 weeks, it depends on botox dose and your muscle density.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and ptosis

Lid ptosis from injection of Botox usually will subside in 3 weeks or so, but the use of iopidine eye drops speeds the process

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist