If I ever consider plastic surgery in the future, what would be involved to get rid of the bump or bridge on my nose? (Photo)

I am very self conscious of my profile. I always hated my nose.

Hump reduction

Just removing the bump is called a hump reduction.  It might leave your nose looking to long.  It looks to me like your tip sticks out too far, over projects.  It might need to be moved back.  I would need to measure the distance on the computer to know for sure.  You need an evaluation with a rhinoplasty expert.

Hump reduction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Bump on the nose

To accomplish this, most patients with your concern would benefit from rhinoplasty, but you'd have to be seen in person for examination to tell for sure.  Be sure to discuss your goals and concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon and consider the pros and the cons. Be certain your surgeon is properly certified.  I've attached a link where you can start your search. 

Bump on the nose

Future rhinoplasty?

Consultation with an appropriately experienced surgeon is absolutely necessary in order to be specific about your goals but, from your photographs, you look like someone who would benefit from a fairly straightforward rhinoplasty. I'd encourage you to make sure your surgeon either uses 3-D imaging to clearly explain what changes can be expected or has similar cases to show you. Trust your instincts when it comes to surgeon selection. Best of luck 

Future rhinoplasty?

Lower the bump, but your nose is also asking to have the tip elevated and deprojected. See the morph I made from your photos.

Click on the "Web reference" link, just below my response, or go here:

FacialSurgery.com/RealSelf/RealSelf_Happycakes.html

I made a computer morph of your nose, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.

Besides lowering the bump, I "deprojected" the nose, which means bringing the entire nose back closer to your face. I also elevated the tip, because when a bump is taken down, and when the nose is deprojected, those changes make the nose *look* longer, and elevating the tip becomes a very good idea indeed.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon. You should only have surgery if you are able to make yourself very confident in your surgeon's skills. Read that page very carefully. Most plastic surgeons are quite poor at this operation, and I believe my advice will go a long way toward keeping you safe.

I'd love to hear what you think of the morph. Did it seem to address your main concerns?

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

In your case in particular, you need to find a surgeon who understands all of the issues I mentioned, and how they fit together, and who can actually accomplish them in surgery.

A Rhinoplasty is in your Future!

You are a great candidate for a rhinoplasty!  The nose is made of bone, cartilage, and skin.  All three can be altered during a rhinoplasty to achieve the look you desire.  A rhinoplasty is done under twilight anesthesia and you go home afterwards.  You need to take it easy, but should be quite comfortable afterwards.  Your plastic surgeon can discuss the recommended plan after an examination.  There's no reason to wait any longer!

A Rhinoplasty is in your Future!

if I ever consider plastic surgery in the future, what would be involved to get rid of the bump on the bridge of my nose?

The bump on the bridge of the nose is composed of both bone and cartilage which must be shaved down in order to remove it.  Osteotomies will be required to narrow the bridge line. Minor tip surgery may be required in order to balance the tip with the new dorsal profile. All  of this can be performed by a closed rhinoplasty approach, which makes all  of the incisions on the inside of the nose. Rhinoplasty is usually performed under general anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure. Digital computer imaging can be performed either online or at the time of the consultation and examination. This gives the patient an idea what their new nose would look like upon their facial features. For more information  and many before-and-after examples, please see the link and the video below

Dorsal hump

Thank you for your question. The area that you are referring to is the dorsal hump. This is addressed during a Rhinoplasty procedure as this area can be reduced to improve the profile that you do not like. Additional adjustments can be made at the time of the procedure to alter the shape of your nose as you desire. 

Rhinoplasty is a very delicate procedure that requires the expertise of a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performs many of these operations. Find a surgeon that is competent in Rhinoplasty to ensure a good result.

Good luck,

Dr. Daniel 

Dorsal hump

Good luck,

Dr. Daniel 

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Removing the bump on a nose

An operation referred to as a rhinoplasty is a straightforward procedure to remove the bump on the bridge of the nose.  Additional changes to the shape of the nose can also be made at the time of surgery as needed.  The results can be dramatic or subtle based on the patient's desires.  The surgery can be performed in a doctors office and patients typically return to work in a week or less, depending on the nature of their jobs.  

In order to get a qualified, ethical, and expert opinion on your surgical options and expectations, always schedule an in-person office consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

I'm happy to see you for a free consultation in my New York office.

Keith M. Blechman, MD

New York, NY

Removing the bump on a nose

Keith M. Blechman, MD

New York, NY

Bump on nose

You would be best served having a complete rhinoplasty to achieve your goals. This is either performed open or closed. A splint is usually kept on for a week and sometimes sutures if placed externally are removed at about a week post-op as well.

Bump on nose