Would a Plastic Surgeon Perform Surgery for Minor Eye Bags?

I am a 20 year old male who lacks confidence and a problem with underneath my eyes. I don't know if it's caused by my computer work or hereditary, but I have what a surgeon would call minor eye bags.

They give me a tired look and I hate it. If I tighten my eye muscles, then they disappear which leads to me to believe that they are caused by too much muscle perhaps. Would a plastic surgeon perform surgery someone who has less severe eye bags? Thank you.

Doctor Answers 7

Surgery may not be the answer

Though an examination is always critical to determine the best course of action, given your age it is likely that fillers placed along the bone of the eye socket would help to fix your problem. Though some patients as young as you are have problems with exccess lower eyelid fat, it is often a mismatch between the cheek and lower eyelid which can be fixed with non-surgical measures such as facial fillers. I would agree with the suggestion to visit a facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or dermatologist who has experience with facial fillers.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon
3.9 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

Eyelid Bags

Your surgeon (whether a board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon) certainly would want to see you and examine you in person, but also take a thorough medical history (family and personal) to include life style habits, use of medications, and any systemic illnesses, etc. There may be different reasons for the "bags" and you would want to get the best solution with the least amount of risk. If there are non-surgical alternatives, they should be tried first. Removal of fatty bulges are relatively simple to perform and with minimal risk, if it is a problem with excess fat or skin (or both).

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Injectable fillers work well to camouflage the appearance of lower eyelid bags.

Before considering surgery, you should consult a certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon experienced with the art of using fillers in the lower eyelid. I have had good success in young patients your age.

I've attached a photo of an 18 year old with lower eyelid bags treated with Silikon-1000.

I hope this helps, and best regards

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 418 reviews

It is possible

Dear Kirk,

It would be easier to assess your problem with a photograph to examine. There are two things that could be causing your eye bags. A hypertrophic prominent muscle ,( what you have already suggested), or a profound amount of fat buldging from the lower part of your orbit. This could be a familial trait when seen at your young age.

A surgeon could correct both problems , although the excess fat correction has a more predictable result. See a plastic surgeon. They will be able to tell if and what surgery is right for you. Good Luck.

Leslie H. Stevens, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 10 reviews

Lower lid eye bags in a young man

Thank you for your question about your lower lid eye bags,

  • when you tighten your eye muscles, the bulge goes away because tight muscle pushes excess fat back under the eye,
  • The eye bag is caused by excess lower lid fat,
  • usually hereditary; computer work may worsen it,
  • Yes - a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon can correct this,
  • a transconjuntival lower lid lift with fat repositioning is usually best.
  • Temporary fillers are unlikely to be satisfactory for this. Hope this helps.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Lower eyelid surgery

The targets for lower eyelid surgery are excess skin and orbital fat.  Lower eyelid surgery can be performed for minor cases, if there is a need.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 94 reviews

Yes a plastic surgeon would perform surgery for minor eye bags

Minor eye "bags" or fat in young patients can be removed from inside the lower eyelid resulting in no external scar.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 60 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.