Who Should Do my Blepharoplasty Revision?

I am now 11 1/2 weeks post-quad Blepharoplasty. My doctor is now finally admitting that it may not change. The corner of my left eye is pulled down, and has been so since the day of surgery. I believe that it is in the way it was sewn. It is just the crease of the corner of my eye that is pulled down. My upperlids are uneven, also. For revision, should I go to a plastic surgeon or an opthmologist? I am scared to let the doctor who did this make an attempt with it again despite that it will be for free.

Doctor Answers 2

Not just any plastic surgeon or ophthalmologist.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Daisy:

Clearly you are having an issue. I will not pretend to be able to assess your needs without a personal consultation.

But here is some practical advice.

First an adverse outcome following an eyelid surgery does not mean that your doctor committed malpractice on you. Of the various cosmetic surgeries we perform, I think that many competent and well qualified surgeons can be surprised and humbled by the outcome of eyelid surgery and particularly lower eyelid surgery. The reasons for this are many and you can read some of my other posts to appreciate these reasons.

It is commendable that your surgeon wants to make good on the eyelid surgery by re-operating to improve your situation. Should you do this? A lot depends on the level of confidence you have in your surgeon. I think that if you are posting on this site it is generally because you are searching for answers.

Recognize that it is much easier to stay out of trouble than it is to get out of trouble. Now that your are in trouble, does your currently surgeon possess the skills to address your new concerns? Perhaps but perhaps not. It is difficult for surgeons to admit that they are in over their heads. They may honestly not understand this. I would recommend that you have a frank conversation with your surgeon. They may know someone in your area that is adept at fixing post-surgical eyelid issues. There is no harm in a second, or third opinion under these circumstances.

If you do decide to see another surgeon, recognize that your surgeon's competitors may not have your best interests at heart. It is human nature (especially with big egos) to assume that what happens to others, couldn't happen to us. To get the most out of your second opinion, you really need to see someone who specialized in fixing eyelid surgeries. Honestly there are not a lot of us that do this as a practice focus.

You are in Arkansas. I think it is very likely that you will need to travel out of state to get help for this problem. Don't go to just any plastic surgeon, ophthalmologist, or facial plastic surgeon. I suggest that you google the repair of eyelid surgery or other similar topics. Make sure that if you do go to an eye plastic surgeon that they are a Fellow of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Revision eyelid surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You are correct in noting that there is a problem, and that something should be done. You should ask your doctor some frank questions regarding how often he/she has corrected with this type of problem, and whether he/she truly feels comfortable dealing with it. Out of a sense of responsibility to you, the surgeon obviously wants to help, but may not be the best person for the job. I would seek opinions from other surgeons as well, and get recommendations or even referrals from them as well.

Nirav Savalia, MD
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 46 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.