Should I wait before considering a breast reduction?

I am about 5'1" tall & weigh 158lbs, but trying to lose more weight (goal weight of 135lbs) Since gaining weight (I am now 25 years old), I have also gone up in bra size to 36DDD (unsure of previous size as I have always hated & I mean HATED my chest). I do think my bra size was smaller, but still in the D-DD range. I don't know if I should try to lose more weight or just go ahead and get a breast reduction. Ideally, I'd like to fit a 36C.

Breast reduction weight

If you are actively trying to lose weight then it’s prudent to hold off on surgery until you’ve reached your goal weight. However, if you find that you can no longer lose weight even though you’re trying, you may have reached the weight your body feels comfortable at. If this is the case, and your weight is stable, then you may consider having surgery now.

Weight loss before surgery, some advices:

Thank you very much for this interesting and important question.Trying to lose weight before a surgical procedure its a very delicate matter, since in many cases a restrictive diet can cause problems, such as anemia, electrolyte disturbances, decreased protein, etc ... retarding the healing process and damaging the surgery.
For these reasons, if your purpose is to lose weight, i recommend you have a BMI less or equal to 30.
In this regard, you must to have a support with a nutritionist, so you can achieve the desired goal, in the most healthy way, without incressing complications risks in the plastic surgery to perform.Kind regards,Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Thank you for your question.  Generally, your weight should be stable and close to your ideal weight before proceeding with breast reduction.  This will optimize your aesthetic results and reduce your surgical risks.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question.  In general, if one is still actively losing weight then one should continue with this and once at the goal weight have an evaluation and recommendations regarding options for breast reduction.  Some patients will be impaired from losing weight due to the discomfort of large breasts and may benefit from reduction first with the results helping the efforts to lose weight.   I would start with a face to face consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience in breast surgery. During your visit your surgeon should be evaluating your health to determine if you are a good surgical candidate and examining your tissues to get a sense of what type of procedure your tissues will allow. Only with a hands on exam can this be determined. During the consult you and the surgeon should be understanding of the goals and realistic outcomes of your choices. Once an exam and opinion is rendered then you can decide if surgery is right for you. Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Weight and breast reduction

Given that you want to lose 25 pounds, you should wait before pursuing breast reduction. Additionally, given your desired breast size, in all candor, that weight loss should get you there without the need for surgery. As a young woman, you have a better likelihood of the skin tightening, particularly if the weight loss is paced properly. This degree of reduction would not be covered by insurance. 

Thank you for the question. Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery. It is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.
The ideal situation is for you to lose weight and be stable in regards to weight prior to surgery - that will give you the best chances of long-term results you will be happy with.  
When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make. To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. ***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.  With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.  I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.