Immobile top half of cheeks when smiling, after Radiesse to apples/cheekbones. Would a thinner filler be better? (Photo)

The top half of my cheeks look almost the same whether I'm smiling or not: it does not move much or change shape like normal cheeks would when you smile. I had 1 syringe o my cheekbones and another in the apple area with Restylane on the tear thoroughs. Would Radiesse to the cheekbones and a "thinner"/more superficially injected filler to my apple area worked more like a natural smile, where the front of your cheeks move and change shapes?

Immobile cheeks after filler

Dear Blondissima777:

One of the goals in facial recontouring is to correct volume deficits while maintaining a natural look at rest as well as with movement of the facial muscles. It Is definitely possible to achieve, with careful planning using different fillers in different areas of the face and avoiding too much filler in the apple cheek area. In your case, I believe Voluma placed in pillars rather than as a solid mass in strategic areas of the lateral cheek before placing any in the mid cheek will give you the best results.  Radiesse is a wonderful filler especially where you want to achieve a lot of volume correction with a small amount of filler and where a little more stiffness is a good thing, such as under the oral commissures, where you want to lift the corners of the mouth, the marionette lines, and the cleft of the chin, as well as the temples and jawline, but I have found it to be less helpful in the mid cheek area.

Dr. Clark

Radiesse and Facial Sagging / Lipoatrophy / Wrinkles

If you are unhappy I suggest you speak to your physician and consider facial scultping with layering fillers, fat or sculptra.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Filler to cheeks...

Thank you for your question.  Typically we use Voluma to the areas you are concerned about as it often times give a much more natural appearance and moves more typically since it is a soft filler unlike Radiesse.  Radiesse is more commonly used for deep filling and as scaffolding for other fillers.  While Radiesse is not reversible like Voluma is if you are concerned with your results you should still talk to your physician and see what steps they may be able to take to alleviate your concerns.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Different types of filler

Thank you for your question. While radiesse is great for building out various portions of the face - like the malar region, the chin - and can also plump up deep lines like the nasolabial folds, it doesn't tend to move as freely as softer fillers. I find that Voluma or Restylane Lyft can help plump up the apple area, while allowing the area to move freely. I would suggest that you talk to your injector about your experience with Radiesse, and voice your concerns. There are many, many different types of fillers out there - and I'm sure you can find one that you're more happy with! Best of luck.