Larger Implant to Fill Up Loss of Top Pole?

I am currently a 36b and 5'5" 120lbs.would I need a larger implant to fill them back up? my consult answers vary between 350cc to 550cc

Mini Ultimate Breast Lift for upper pole fullness

At size 36 B each 200 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change.  400 cc implants would take you up 2 cup sizes to approximately a size D.  However, your breasts are sagging and you will need a simultaneous lift.  I recommend a new technique, Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift, which uses only a circumareola incision hidden at the areola-skin junction.  Breast tissue is reshaped creating upper pole fullness, elevated higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection with a minimal size implant.  Small silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

CC answers vary because of Implants' Format: 350-400 cc Med-Projection looks like the best option

Your doubt is a very frequently asked question in our profession, and in fact something that has been deeply studied. I'll assume you're talking about silicone (as I never recommend saline implants to my patients).

What we take in mind for this surgery is how much surrounding tissue (skin and fat) we have and what's the volume we want to achieve. 

I can immediately answer you why you have received such a wide range of sizes: because you can have a 350 cc with Extra-High Projection really give you the aspect and filling of a C+ cup but without a wide breast base, and have a 500 cc Medium Projection with a very similar breast projection as the 350 but your breasts would show more on the medial and lateral areas. This is why a detailed surgeon takes a good amount of time to evaluate all measures and try to imagine it 3Dimensionally.

With your height description and your pictures, I can tell you that the surgeon who mentioned the 350cc or even 400cc with Medium Projection has a clearer view of what you want and what will cause less trauma to your body over the years. As you can see by looking at yourself, you have enough lateral breast tissue (which is a difference between you and the other picture), which will add up to the implant filling. Something else that you must take into consideration is that, the more volume (CCs), the heavier the weight on your breasts, which translates into quicker falling of the breasts with the pass of the years.

Without a personal consultation, the only impossible thing for me to tell you is whether you would or wouldn't need a round block (periareolar) breast lift to achieve a firm round beautiful breast.

As I like to tell my patients: Big breasts eventually become really big problems.

Hope I could clear your head a little.

Dr. Fernandez Goico

Luis A. Fernandez Goico, MD

It is impossible to say with confidence which implant will make you happy

Hi there,

As it is my opinion that the very best advice I could give you is that which is most sincere and honest, even in if it not what you would prefer to hear or what is easy, please understand the following....

There is absolutely no way that anyone could predict with confidence the volume of the implant necessary to achieve your goals for appearance. A broad range might be "guessable", but precision is simply not- and committing to an implant before surgery is (IMO) a grave error. 

This is true because of the very simple fact (and this could not be disputed) that there is no reliable way of (even with the very fanciest of in-office computer simulators) understanding the elasticity and strength of your tissues and the effect these will have on the appearance the implant produces once inside the pocket.

I worry that nice patients like yourself approach this (whether by choice or because you are directed to do so by surgeons) in a manner less likely to result in your maximum satisfaction....

Your very best chances of being happy and safe would result from the following approach:

Find the very best surgeon you can FIRST, based on their education, training (there's a reason we all fight to get into the best med schools, right?), experience, reputation, and OUTCOMES (look at a lot of photos). Once you've identified a couple of surgeons you are confident have the training, experience, skill and talent you want, visit for consultations- get a feel for their approaches and personalities- you are entering into an important relationship and being comfortable and liking your surgeon is important.

Once you've identified the surgeon you feel most comfortable and confident in, let them do their thing- meaning, follow their advice for how to best achieve your desired outcome. 

All too often, I meet patients in my Orlando Plastic Surgery Center who are devastated by poor outcomes that resulted from their misguided attempt to micro-manage every decision in their care, and from a surgeon's desire to give the patient what they thought they wanted- instead of doing what was most likely to end in a beautiful result.

Hope that helps you- best of luck

Right size implant

Looking at your phots i would say 300 to 350 should accomplish your goal.At the end of the day you have to be able to close the incision.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Implant Size To Achieve your goals

This is the approach I use to help guide my patients with their implant size selection:  I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Large Implant to Fill up Breast?

This is probably the most common question we get as plastic surgeons. First of all, there is no good way to augment a women and achieve a nice result if she has significant breast ptosis (when the nipple is facing downward). This approach ends up as a disaster with very large saggy implants. In that scenario, it is best to perform a lift with an implant for added fullness up top.

The good news is that you don't fall into this category. You have nice shape and symmetry with well placed nipples. Your main problem is volume loss and this is easily treated with an appropriately sized implant. To get the look you want, you need to be evaluated, and sized by a board certified plastic surgeon. At our office, we use 3D sizing software to help you see yourself in a new size.  I agree that 450cc or more would likely give you the size you are looking for but every "body" is different. Hope this helps, good luck.

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  I agree partly with both answers below.  You would probably be about a 400cc - 450cc based on Mentor measuring system.  Also, because of the complete loss of tissue in upper poles you may need some fat added as well.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Use the Mentor Sizing System

Go to a surgeon that uses the Mentor sizing system.  I think this gives a pretty good representation as to what your size will be.  I bet you will decide at about a 450.

Good Luck

Dr T

Scott Tucker, MD
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon

"composite" augmentation with a 550 cc + lipo/fat grafting is a good option. Best to be seen in person by a boarded PSs in your area/city.//