When the steri strips fall off, should I clean the scar under my breast?

Or just let them get clean when taking a shower? Just curious.

Breast augmentation post op

Thank you for your question.  When it comes to your post operative care, it is always best to fist speak with your operating surgeon as every surgeon has their own unique set of instructions for their patients aftercare.  In our practice we often advise our patients to avoid submerging there incisions for a minimum of 2 months, but quick showers are ok.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Cleaning breast incision

Thank you for your question.  Always best to follow the recommendations of your individual surgeon.  In general, shower as normal.  No need to scrub the incision, simple and gentle washing is adequate.  

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

I do not recommend a great deal of cleansing for my patients as I think it can interrupt wound healing, but you should ask your surgeon. 

Scar care after BA

Thanks for your question. Yes, generally once the Steri Strips have fallen off you can start to wash the incision sites gently with normal soap and water. Make sure everything is looking healthy first. That would be the time to begin light scar massage as well, but I'd check with your surgeon before doing that. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon