I Am Planning on Having 3-4 Fraxel Treatments Spaced One Month Apart. What is Your Recommendation Concerning Sun Exposure?

I am planning on 3-4 fraxel dual treatments spaced 1 month apart. What are recommendations for sun exposure between and after treatments?

Fraxel Treatment and Sun Exposure

Thank you for your question. The less sun, the better. Sunscreen every two hours, and wear a hat outdoors.  If the pigment starts, it is hard to slow it down. Use a Zinc and or Titanium based SPF 30 or more. I hope this helps!

Fraxel laser treatment

When you decide to make a significant investment of your time and money by having a laser procedure performed such as Fraxel, you need to make a concerted effort to avoid direct sun exposure to the treated areas from now on.  Certainly while undergoing the series of Fraxel treatments, and for at least the first six months afterwards, you must be extremely vigilant with sun exposure to avoid potential pigmentation issues and to insure you obtain your optimal result.  Get in the habit of wearing an excellent physical blocking sunscreen and if you know you will be in direct sun for any significant amount of time be sure to also wear a wide brimmed hat.

Enjoy your treatment with the fractionated laser, I am sure you will have a great result.  Thank you for your question.

Best Regards,

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD
Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel and Sun Exposure

When you decide to undergo a series of laser treatments, the final result sometimes depends on compliance. It is never advisable to have any type of prolonged sun exposure while getting laser treatments. The best advise I can give you is to be compliant and wear sunblock not sunscreen, and limit the amount of sun exposure you have to a minimum.

Laser treatments can make the skin far more sensitive to UV exposure, and create hyperpigmentation as well as a less desirable outcome.

Bottom line, Protect your investment. Either avoid or limit sun exposure, or opt to have the laser treatments done in the fall or winter.

Best Wishes

Evan Manolis, MD
Orland Park Plastic Surgeon

Sun Exposure and Fraxel

You asked a great question!  I love Fraxel but you have to stay out of the sun during, after, and in between your treatments, especially if you need multiple sessions.  Are you doing the Fraxel for scarring or for hyperpigmentation? Please send me a photo so I can see the areas being treated.  I always recommend a high SPF and a hat throughout your treatment and for at least a month afterwards.  Remember, the most important thing you can do to prevent aging and skin cancer is to stay out of the sun and wear a high SPF.  Good luck with the Fraxel.  It is my favorite laser!

Fraxel and Sun Exposure

Sun exposure before or after a resurfacing laser procedure (such as Fraxel) can lead to pigment changes. So, it is recommended that you be very careful with sun exposure (wear an SPF, seek shade, and wear a wide brimmed hat if you are out in the sun). Of course, I recommend a "Zero" sun tolerance policy for the face, neck, and chest at all times. Not only does UV exposure lead to the possibility of skin cancers, it is also one of the biggest aging factors. You definitely want to protect your investment in the Fraxel treatments that you are having.

Jennifer Reichel, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

Sun exposure inbetween Fraxel treatments (as well as after) should be minimized.

You want to have as little direct sun exposure as possible when receiving any laser treatment.  I usually say 3 weeks before and after treatment at the very least.  Sun exposure will lead to rev'd up melanocytes which will lead to pigmentation issues.  It doesn't mean staying indoors, it means wearing sunscreen, a hat, and avoiding intense sun exposure.  Heliocare can help reduce the tan and burn associated with sun exposure too as well as antioxidants such as those found in TNS Essential Serum from SkinMedica.

Steven F. Weiner, MD