Dark spots on my cheek and forehead. What can I do?

I am West Indian skin type, I did laser our years ago, an my dark spots got even darker,,,, tried so many diffrent product,,,an am tired of wearing make up...... What can I do?? Kathleen

Dark scars and Melarase PM cream

I would use a combination of Melarase PM and Exfolase to help reduce spots on the cheeks and forehead. Brightening creams take some time to work. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Age Spots Treatment

Thank you for your question in regards to age spots. Lasers can affect darker skin types and cause more damage than good. Creams and peels may be a better choice for your skin type. To be sure what is best for you and your skin type, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

First be evaluated

Thank you for your question. The Most important thing is to be evaluated by your physician to diagnose the cause of your hyperpigmentation. If you have melasma, you should not have any laser treatment under any circumstance is as it will only worsen your condition. Other kinds of age spots such as that caused by inflammation trauma, or Sunday, and your skin type our best treated with A combination of sun protection, lightning topical agents, gentle chemical peels, or microneeing. With experienced hands, certain types of lasers can be used safely and effectively to deliver measured, small doses of energy to dissolve the pigments quickly. Good luck!

Neda Vanden Bosch, MD
West Palm Beach Physician

Pico vs Nano laser for age spots in darker skin types

Yes, this can be difficult with darker skin types. I suggest you see someone who works with ethnic skin types all the time. 

New picosecond lasers can be extremely effective in Ethnic skin. See video below. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim
Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Dark Spots

I recommend finding a reputable board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in ethnic skin to consult with so that your skin can be appropriately assessed. Whether this is a postinflammatory hyperpigmentation response or a condition such as melasma, treatments do exist to improve your dark spots. Reducing sun exposure and wearing sunscreen is essential for daily care and to reduce further darkening. Topical depigmenting agents, retinol, and regularly scheduled chemical peels would be a good place to start.

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dark Spots on Face and Indian Skin NYC

You should definitely look into bleaching creams, chemical peels, and Cosmelan.  All too often these dark spots are lasered and the type of skin is not understood and makes it worse. Please also look into Cosmelan since this is very effective.  Best, Dr. Green

Dark spots on my cheek and forehead. What can I do? = consider Obagi Nu Derm #darkspots #melasma #obagi #drmesa #skinrestoration

Dark spots in the face are commonly secondary to chronic spouse to sun, pregnancy (melanoma) or skin treatments like laser resurfacing and chemical peels (these last procedures could make the skin become darker or make dark spots worst if not pretreated adequately).

In my practice and my family (including myself) I treat difficult to treat dark spots in the face with Obagi Nu Derm skin restoration system (commonly known as "Obagi"). Obagi nu-derm is a medical grade skin treatment that is only available at doctor's office (since 3 component are prescriptions) . Obagi Nu Derm can eliminate the dark spots in the face that have failed to be treated with other treatments. However, in order for Obagi to succeed, it has to be guided with frequent visits at least every 4 weeks to achieve the desired results.Obagi nu deem is suitable to all skin types ( white, latin, indian, asian, black, etc).

Patients interested in managing difficult to treat dark spots difficult  should make a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon specialized in skin care.

John Mesa MD
New York City (#NYC) & New Jersey (#NJ)
RealSelf Top 100 Plastic Surgeon

John Mesa, MD

Ethnic skin

Ethnic skin is very special to me being of mixed-blood.   Pigmentation after laser treatments in people of color can be due to a number of different factors.   The most likely is that this is just the way you heal up as someone of color and it is called "Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation."  Treatment is sunscreen and topical bleaching agents such as "Color-Lift" that can be found in my online store.   Give it a try as I have excellent results with this simple, topical modality.   Don't forget the sunscreen.   SPF 30. 

Will Richardson, MD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon