Exparel for Tummy Tuck and Breast lift w/ Augmentation

Good Day Doctors, I wanted to know if I were to get a Tummy Tuck and a Breast lift with Augmentation if I would need to purchase two doses of Exparel for each area? Thank you and Have a beautiful day!

When doing my mommy makeovers, I only use one vial to treat both the tummy and breasts so that should be sufficient.  You are making a great choice in getting the Exparel!  It has helped a lot of my patients in their early recovery.  Good luck!

Exparel for mommy makeover

Your surgeon should be able to use one vial of Exparel to treat both your abdominal and breast areas for your mommy makeover.Best wishes,Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

I have not used two doses of Exparel in a case and just diluted the one dose to cover both areas and this has been highly successful in controlling the post operative discomfort. My concern with two doses is the amount of bupivicaine that is injected. While it is time released, it still puts you at a higher risk for toxicity. I am not sure what the company's recommendation for maximum dosage is as I have only used the one vial per case. 

Brian J. Lee, MD
Fort Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and breast lift - how much exparel.

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • Two doses would be ideal -
  • But if you can't afford two, have one and ask your surgeon to dilute it so all areas are injected.
  • It makes a huge difference - and almost certainly makes these operations safer, because you can move without pain from the start.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Dr derby

Thank you for your question. I would recommend you 2 dosages , one for each area. also talk it over with your doctor.Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Exparel for tummy tuck and breast lift

Thank you for your question. I have found Exparel to be very effective in pain control with my tummy tucks and breast surgery. In fact I offer it for most all of my surgeries at this point. It comes in a vial that contains 20cc or 266mg of liposomal bupivacaine. It can be diluted up to about 280cc. I routinely dilute it to distribute to both the breasts and abdomen when I am doing both together and this works nicely. I find it to be excellent pain control without the side effects of the narcotics. I would highly recommend it.Good luck!

Jennifer Boll, MD
Tempe Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your excellent question. If you are interested in Exparel for both areas I would recommend two doses, one for your two breasts and one for your tummy tuck.  This should supply you with improved comfort in the first 72 hours after surgery.  Hope this helps.

Exparel  has reduced the post operative pain level dramatically, allowed for earlier ambulation, less narcotic use and a quicker recovery.  This offers a major benefit for tummy tuck patients as the recovery is much easier.  As for the breast augmentation, injecting the pocket with marcaine at the end of the case helps reduce pain and discomfort as well.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Exparel is a new drug to tummy tucks and it is very effective. It does not have the same efficacy in the bresat though I will try to use it occasionally. I recommend only a single vial which can ebe diluted and used to multiple ares to prevent Bupivicaine overdose.

Exparel is a game changer in tummy tuck procedures

Exparel is Bupivacaine, a long acting local anesthetic, placed in a liposome delivery system (DepoFoam), which slowly releases the medication over 3-5 days.  It has only been on the marketplace for a few years and the original studies were performed on bunion and hemorrhoid procedures.  It has found to be very effective in some procedures and not so much in others.  In my experience, it is a game changer in tummy tuck procedures, it has reduced the post operative pain level dramatically, allowed for earlier ambulation, less narcotic use and a quicker recovery.  I have literally had  a tummy tuck patient WALK out of my office one hour after her procedure with NO pain!It is supplied in a concentrated 20 ml suspension with 266 mg of Bupivacaine, the maximum dose that can be safely injected.  It is then diluted to the amount needed for the procedure, it can be diluted up to 300 ml!!, that is a lot.  I, most of the time, for a tummy tuck, dilute it up to 150 ml.  This is more than enough solution which is injected into muscles of the abdomen, skin edges, drain sites and umbilical incision site towards the end of the procedure.  You do not need to purchase more than one vial, the dilution will stretch the use of the Exparel.  It is expensive though, $200/vial, I used to charge my patients extra for using it, but it is so important in the recovery of the tummy tuck patient that I use it on everyone now and just incorporate the cost into the procedure.  However, I have found that it does not seem to work very well on breast procedures such as breast implants or lifts.To prevent accidental overdose of Bupivacaine during the early post op period, you will need to wear a wrist bracelet to warn any health care provider that you have the maximum level of Bupivacaine on board and no additional Bupivacaine should be administered.  This is also why only one vial of Exparel is used during the procedure, to prevent accidental overdose and Bupivacaine toxicity.This is a great new drug and I wish you Good Luck with your upcoming procedure.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon