Is it possible to have an areola incision for me for a lift and implant and avoid the larger scar? (Photos)

Hi I recently lost weight and the girls suffered. I'm 5'8, 135 pounds and 41 years old. I've have three babies who were breast fed. My Bob's survived that . But the weight loss did them in. I was normally a DD. now I'm a C. I went for a consultation and the doctor recommend a lift with a moderate implant. I would like to use an aerola incision and reduce my nipple size some too. Is it possible for me to avoid the lollipop incision with the amount of droop I have! I round like to be a DD.

Lift options

In my opinion you will need a lollipop lift. If you try to test the limits of the peri areolar lift you end up with early recurrent droop and a very enlongated (in a vertical direction) elliptical shaped areola that looks very odd. With lifts, the more incision you will tolerate, the better and longer lasting lift you will get.

Lift and implants

You would have to be seen in person so that a proper assessment can be performed.  I will often use either a cirumareolar approach or a lollipop incision for most lift and augmentations. Best of luck.

Is it possible to have an areola incision for me for a lift and implant and avoid the larger scar

With the degree of sagging you have at this time I do not think that an areolar incision alone will be able to correct  the problem and you will not have as good of a result compared to at least a lollipop incision

Julio Garcia, MD

Limited breast lift with implants?

Many patients have a preference of avoiding surgical incision lines on their breasts if at all possible.  Though I would need to confirm based on a face-to-face examination it appears to me that if your expectations are reasonable a periareolar or "limited" breast lift with implants could work for you.  The procedure will narrow the diameters of your areolae which would otherwise be expected to widen from the pressure of the implant and raise the position of your nipple approximately an inch or an inch and a half.  Attempts at further uplifting of your nipple position with a limited uplift would have effects of flattening your projection and make your breasts look less natural.
Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Periareolar breast lift and implants

Thank you for submitting your question and your photos.  Based upon your pictures I think that while a periareolar lift is possible, I don't think that you are as likely to have as good a result with that approach as you would if you have a lift employing a 'lollipop' incision.  An in-person exam with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will allow that person to assess your breasts  and explain to you whether you can achieve your expectations with or without the vertical scar.  Most women who have a lift with a vertical scar find that the vertical scar fades very well, and frequently is less noticeable than the scar around the areola.

Isaac Starker, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Circumareolar breast lift with breast augmentation

Dear asti1997,
It is rare that I  say yes to an areolar breast lift with augmentation.  In your case though, it might be a yes.  You should be evaluated by an American Board of Plastic Surgery board certified plastic surgeon for an examination and discussion of your goals, options and expectations.  Good luck!

Is it possible to have an areola incision for me for a lift and implant and avoid the larger scar?

The type of lift you will need will depend to some extent on your goal look. But I have many patients each year with your anatomy that do well with implants and a periareolar lift as long as they want a more natural finished look. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Implant and Lift?

Unfortunately, without a direct examination it is impossible to say what will work best for you.  However, in general, the lift around the areola itself is not very strong and will only raise things a little bit.  Adding the vertical portion ("lollipop") gives the surgeon more flexibility and helps achieve a better result.  I recommend going for a few consultations with board certified plastic surgeons and see what is recommended. I hope this helps.

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photo I concur with others that he most likely will need a breast lift or mastopexy with a vertical component such as a lollipop or anchor lift.  During the course of the breast lift your areola diameter can certainly be reduced.  Please find an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. For more information please read the link below:

Breast Lift Incision

No.Your breast shape would be unacceptable with only a periareolar lift. The choice is the breasts you have now without scars or better shape/symmetry/position/size but WITH scars of a full lift. The choice is yours and the "right" answer is whichever you choose.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD