Can Plastic Surgery Correct a Flat Skull from Plagiocephaly?

My son is 13 Yrs. old. he has plagiocephaly. the right side of the back of his head is flat and somewhat crooked. When he was a baby my pediatrician said it would 'pop out' but it never did. Is there some kind of plastic surgery that could correct this? I found a doctor that uses Kryptonite bone cement that corrects the shape of the head but I dont know how how safe it is.The procedure it self sounds great but I"m worried about side effects.

Doctor Answers 1

Plagiocephaly Skull Correction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

My advise to you is to have your son seen and evaluated by a Multidisciplinary Craniofacial Team comprised of Plastic Surgeons, Neurosurgeons and other specialties to weigh in the risks and consequences and surgical options of craniofacial surgical correction of this problem.

Of interest is that during the newborn and first few years of life a specially made molding helmet can be worn and can correct plagiocephaly  (unilateral coronal synostosis) deformities.. I was the inventor of this concept and  device as a plastic surgical resident at the University of Virginia in the 1986



These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.