What's the best way to avoid rippling?

What makes implants ripple when they are inside your breast? Which implants ( shaped, round , profile )have the least amount of rippling ? I want to really understand and make my mind up about what brand , size and profile I want before I schedule my surgery !! I have one child , I'm a small 34b with some ptosis , and I'm 5'2 130 pounds.

Rippling

The risk of rippling really depends on a number of factors: the thickness of your skin, the placement and the shape. Determining which implant size, shape and placement would be ideal for your body type requires an in person exam. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area (link below) to discuss options. Best, Dr. Nazarian

What's the best way to avoid rippling?

There is actually less risk of rippling with subpectoral placement of the implants.  This placement will general get the best effect without the risk of rippling.

Fred Suess, MD

Implant rippling

Hello, any implant can ripple. The form-stable implants tend to ripple less but they also have a firmer edge that might be seen or felt in a person with less breast tissue over the implants.  Silicone implants are felt to ripple less than saline implants.

Rippling

Rippling is caused by thin skin that lays into the creases of the silicone implant contour; so the best implant is a silicone implant that has the most filling and crosslinking; this will make the implant less prone to having wrinkles which the skin can wrinkle into. the best implant for you is the Allergan Inspira implant that was just released approximately two months ago. Please make a consultation so that we can show you the improvement of this implant over other implants.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Best way to avoid rippling

is not to get implants.  Implants form ripples either from intrinsic ways where the shell ripples along the edge (worse with saline and old gel implants and best with shaped textured implants or the newest high viscosity smooth round gel implants)  or extrinsic where the weight of the implant pulls on the pocket when bending over at the waist, like holding a water balloon at the knot and seeing all the rippling on the hanging balloon.  Rippling is usually not an issue unless your very thin and have no breast tissue.  But if you're going to make this your priority and deal breaker, then its recommended you use the shaped textured implant which doesn't move and has little push up with a push up bra or the newest gummy bear smooth round implant which can still ripple when bent over at the waist.

Curtis Wong, MD

Avoiding Implant Rippling

You ask a good question.  All would agree that silicone (though not ripple free) is less likely to ripple than saline and smooth are generally less inclined to ripple than textured.  The exception is probably anatomic textured implants which many claim have less rippling due to their firmer silicone gel.
The most significant factor is the thickness of your breast tissue and skin elasticity not only at the present time but in the future.  Breast tissue changes and thins with time in many, made worse by placement of excessively large and heavy implants, pregnancy(s) capsule contracture and weight loss.
As an example I've seen many patients in whom I placed saline implants 20+ years ago with thick breast tissue and extremely natural ripple free results due to the presence of reasonable breast gland thickness.  Others have silicone implants and very thin stretched breast tissue and are bothered by rippling.  The worst combination though would be textured saline implants above the pectoral muscle with thin breast tissue whose rippling can be seen from a distance!
I hope this helps you.  Generally, think silicone, not excessively sized and placed below the pectoral muscle for a high likelihood of a natural and unrippled result. 

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Rippling

Thank you for your question. I recommend that you share these concerns with your chosen Plastic Surgeon in person. Generally, Silicone gel vs saline and subpectoral placement can help minimize the likelihood you will note rippling in appropriate patients. Your skin, breast tissue and other factors will influence your results as well. Ask your Plastic Surgeon what they advise.

All the best  

Implant Rippling

The likelihood that you will be aware of rippling is influenced by the implant as well as your breast tissue.  The more tissue you have to provide coverage over the implant the less you will see or feel rippling.  Placement under the muscle will often be helpful by placing more tissue over the implant but realize the lower and side portion of the implant is usually not covered by the muscle and it is in these areas that you may be aware of any irregularities.  The type of implant you choose also is important.  Generally, silicone implants will ripple less than saline and, in thin patients, a textured surface may accentuate your perception of rippling as well.  These are issues you should discuss with your surgeon as you plan your procedure.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Rippling in BA

Silicone implants are better at avoiding rippling. Also placing the implant in a sub pectoral pocket under the muscle is preferred. 

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Breast implant rippling

Rippling is one of the limitations of all breast implants.  There is no way to avoid it all together (we can only minimize it), and the older the implants are and the more your body ages, the more of it you will feel in the future. The more breast tissue you have to begin with and the less saggy you are to begin with, the less rippling you will have after breast augmentation.  Placing the implants under the muscle (as opposed to over) definitely decreases the rippling you will feel in the future.  Silicone gel implants cause less rippling than saline- filled.  Newer form stable/ shaped/ highly cohesive silicone gel implants ("gummy bear" style implants) have less rippling that traditional silicone gel implants.  An in depth consultation and physical examination with a board certified plastic surgeon (or several) will help you choose the implant that is right for you.  Best wishes.