Is it normal after a breast lift w/o implants to have the side of your breast become super hard not from swelling?

I just had a breast lift three weeks ago. I just noticed that the side of my left breast is very hard. It not painful. When you look it's like a protruding lump. The other side doesn't. Have one and has turned soft. What could this be. It feels like the size of a tennis ball. I was laying on that side after two weeks could that have done something

Swelling from breast lift

In the early stages of your recovery, changes in shape and size can develop. They normally resolve as you progress with your recovery. However, it’s always best to discuss any unusual concerns with your surgeon. It might not be anything, but better safe than sorry. 

Post op breast lift

your breasts will be changing over the next several months. There may be areas of hardness or scar tissue which resolve over time. Consult your plastic surgeon to make sure

Susan Kaweski, MD

Its not normal to develop hard lumps

in your breasts after surgery so you should ask your surgeon about it.  Your surgeon knows if any of your tissue was used to help augment the area of concern and if so, it could be from fat necrosis.  Regardless, you should be asking your surgeon for advice and for reassurances that you seek.

Curtis Wong, MD

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

What you describe, it may be some inflammation or a small hematoma, on that side. In most of the patients the amount of swelling and inflammation, it is not symmetrical and it is Ok, to find small asymmetries during the first month after the surgery. Please check with your surgeon, I do not think is something of concern, as it is not painful and when the inflammation goes away, that will resolve too.

Post Op swelling after Breast Surgery

From you description, there is no way to tell you of the nature of your issue. It could be bleeding, a lymph node or even induration. You would need to post a photo, or more likey be seen by your doctor in person.Continue to follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you progress as planned.  Best of luck, Vincent Marin, MD San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Postop lump

Thank you for your question.  It is difficult to determine the cause of the lump based on your description.  I strongly suggest that you return to your plastic surgeon for an examination so that your problem can be properly managed.  Hope this helps!