Worried about how I should be feeling on PO day 6. Am I expecting too much or is this normal?

I am 6 days PO from a tummy tuck with MR, lipo of flanks, and breast lift with augmentation and SERI scaffold. I have been off all pain meds for 3 days and barely have any pain! I feel like anytime I get up to do anything I'm exhausted and dizzy within minutes! I want to do more but can't! Am I expected to much or is this normal?

Is exhaustion and dizziness normal 6 days after mommy make-over?

Thank you for your question about your mommy make-over.

I am sorry you are having a difficult recovery.
  • By six days, most people feel stronger than you do.
  • On an energy scale of 0 - 10 (10 being normal), most people feel about a 5.
  • This means they can be up and around but tired easily.
  • Please call your surgeon and discuss what is going on.
  • It is possible your garment is much too tight - and you can't breathe.
  • It is possible you are anemic, severely hypothyroid or have some other problem.
  • So please be seen and evaluated promptly.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Recovery

Give your body time to heal. Remember that you had a big surgery and all of your energy is going to healing. Pace yourself and do not try to do too much. Rest and recover. Best wishes. Dean Vistnes. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

6 days Post-Op

It is very normal to feel tired and easily fatigued with exertion immediately after surgery.  Most patients are feeling much stronger after the first three weeks of healing.  You do need to notify your surgeon if you develop a fever or any other signs of infection.  Best of luck to you!

Steven Heaney, MD
Erie Plastic Surgeon

Post Operative Tiredness

It is completely normal to feel what you are feeling. First, general anesthesia can take the wind out of your sails for several months. Just give it time. The problem is most patients start to feel good after a week or two and want to be more active but the body is just not ready. You need to let your body heal and recover. This can take 6 weeks to a few months. Be patient. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Feelings after surgery

what you are experiencing is completely normal.  While you may feel good, your body is telling you that you are doing to much.  Your recovery time will be longer with the combination of procedures.  I certainly recommend that you get up a few times a day and walk to prevent blood clots in your legs that can be deadly.  However, you must not overdo it.  Things to look out for are syncopal episodes (passing out) or near-blackouts.  Good luck during your recovery and congrats on the new you!

Post-Op Blahs

The post-operative course after a Mommy Makeover is typified by abdominal soreness, incisional pain, drain-site tenderness, and a feeling of tightness across the abdomen. In addition, the stress of undergoing surgery and the process of healing saps the body of energy. The initial recovery period of a Mommy Makeover is about 2-3 weeks. You can expect the first week to be the toughest with steady improvement after that. It is important to get plenty of rest, maintain adequate calorie intake, and stay hydrated postoperatively to give your body the building blocks it needs to heal. Close follow-up with the surgeon and strict adherence to the post-operative instructions are essential and can help alleviate any concerns about your progress.

Mommy makeover is physiologically significant surgery and may take a while to get back energy levels.

Feeling puny for a week or so after major surgery is fairly common. Nevertheless, it is possible that some of the dizziness may be related to a low blood levels so your symptoms should be reported to your surgeon.

6 days post op

You have had a big surgery and it is going to take some time for you to recover.  Your stamina will build gradually.  Make sure that you are well hydrated and that when you get up you do so slowly.  It's good to move around and try to do a little each day, but at this stage of healing you will still need rest.

Camille Cash, MD

Day 6!!!

Dear momoftwins
Its great that you are relatively painfree and off pain meds already. It does take 2 to 3 weeks to feel more like yourself and a good month to get back to routine activity. Be patient and give yourself time to heal. I suspect with twins, you are used to being super busy and you feel you should do more. give yourself time.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon