Whenever I stand up from sitting a while, I feel pressure on a small portion of the right side of my incision. Is this normal?

I am 20 Days post TT and BR. I started feeling pressure on a small portion of my TT incision after sitting for awhile and then standing up. When looking at the spot it looks exactly like the rest of the incision. No redness or any type of swelling that stands out. I saw my ps a few days ago and she looked for a seroma, but didn't find anything. Was told it was just normal swelling. Does this sound like swelling or something else? The feeling goes away after I walk around a bit, but it seems off.

Discomfort & Pressure Post Tummy Tuck

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks.  The purpose of the post-procedure #garment is to provide some gentle #support and to reduce swelling following a #TummyTuck or #Abdominoplasty. If it feels too tight or causes pain, take it off. Patients wear the #elastic garment for several weeks after surgery, as directed by their doctor. Some choose to wear it longer for several months for comfort.The #healing process make take at least 3-4 months until you see your final results. I suggest you contact your surgeon or their medical staff and further inquire. At any time, you have any concerns about your healing or recovery, it's best to contact your plastic surgeon  sooner than later,  to prevent any possible infections or #healing complications.

Recovery

Without seeing you in person, it is impossible to say. You did the right thing by consulting your surgeon. Swelling is common at this point and healing is often asymmetrical. Keep an eye on it, but sounds as if you are healing normally. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Is this normal?

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear about your discomfort.  Assuming all looks well with your incision, and your plastic surgeon was unable to find any phyical reason for your symptoms, you have some asymmetry in healing which should improve and correct itself with time.  Keep an eye on the area, and be sure to maintain your follow-ups to insure no further problems arise.

Pressure

There is as much going on underneath your surgical sites as there is on the surface scars. It takes many months for the scar tissue and fibrosis to soften. It is normal to have almost daily "reminders" of your surgery for at least six months. These may also change in type and location during that time. You did the proper thing in being seen by your surgeon and it appears there is nothing worrisome going on.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

It is very normal to have different sensations like this during the early stages of healing. You are only three weeks out so there is a lot going on under the skin. If your PS has already checked you out and says it is fine, then you should believe it. Massaging this specific area may help. Be patient. In time it should resolve. 

Normal

I think that pain and tightness is very common for up to 6-8 weeks, give it time, it should all resolve. Jane

Post op MM

Thank you for your question. If no seroma was identified by your surgeon, and everything seems to be healing well otherwise (incision looks healthy, normal contour, etc.), then it's possible you just have an irritated sensory nerve in that area. Sometimes the nerves are disturbed by the surgery/swelling. This almost always works itself out on its own. It may take a few months. You might try massaging the area regularly. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon