Skin is not completely tight three and a half months after Chin Liposuction. Any suggestions?

I had chin liposuction three and a half months ago. At first, it looked like I had long bands that felt hard under my chin. My doctor told me it was still healing and that it was good that it felt hard and not loose. However, now I only have one on the right under my chin, and it only feels hard if I tilt my head up toward the ceiling. Otherwise, it feels soft. Should I be concerned?

Neck cords after liposuction

The question is (hate to start an answer with another question, but sometimes we have to!) whether this is a muscle web that was hidden before by the fat or some deep scar that has contracted.  Scar often wants to contract, and this could be for up to 9 months after surgery.  Scar often responds well to massage and pressure.  You can try a small vibrator on the hard area to soften it. If it is sensitive, this will also quiet that down.  Also, try tilting you head back to make the band tight and massage in the direction of the scar.  It should be uncomfortable when you do it.  Otherwise, you might as well blow on it!  Keep at it.....scar massage takes patience and persistence.  This should go away, since you already lost one of the bands.  I prefer to only approach the neck laterally from behind the earlobes to minimize the chance of this happening as compared to suctioning from an incision behind the chin.  Good luck!

Chin Liposuction

Thanks for your question.It is possible to perform external treatments to help tighten the skin after chin liposuction.Whether it be by laser, radiofrequency, or ultrasound, there are multiple modalities available.These could help to tighten the area some to help give you better result.If there is a significant amount of laxity, then a surgical option may be best.I hope this helps.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS