Can I reduce/remove a bump on the upper level of my nose? (photos)

When I was a kid, I was a VERY agressive nose-rubber, and I smashed all of the cartilage in my lower nose into my upper nose over the course of my childhood. Is this fixable?

Dorsal nasal hump reduction

A rhinoplasty procedure performed by a well-trained plastic surgeon can definitely remove your hump and refine any cartilage asymmetries, thereby giving your face a more refined look.

Shady Hayek, MD 
Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery

Lebanon Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Goals

Your nose can be straightened with a rhinoplasty. An excellent way to get a better sense of the changes that are possible is to have your surgeon perform computer morphing of your images. Although there are limitations, this will help you visualize what small changes will have on the overall balance of your appearance.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Dorsal hump reduction

The nasal hump can be removed through rhinoplasty.  It is one of the most common reasons for undergoing a rhinoplasty.

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can I Remove Bump on My Nose?

A rhinoplasty can be done to remove the nasal hump. Other views of your nose may reveal additional changes you should consider.

You have a convex bridge, which can be straightened with a rhinoplasty.  Other views, not seen, may show other problems that need to be addressed, at the same time.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Reducing a bump on upper level of nose

Thank you for your question. You would be a good candidate for a rhinoplasty and the bump on the upper level of your nose could easily be fixed.  The components of the dorsal hump include bone and cartilage.  It is imperative to reconstitute the nasal vault with various suture techniques for optimal results.  Best wishes in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS, member ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Yes, it looks like you might benefit from a rhinoplasty.  The dorsum can be treated.  A full evaluation in person is essential as to evaluate your entire nose looking at it in multiple views, and reviewing your goals as well.

Dorsal hump reduction

The bump on the middle/upper portion of the nose is referred to as a dorsal hump.  Reducing the height of the dorsal hump and thus creating a straight, aesthetically pleasing contour of the nose is a cornerstone of rhinoplasty surgery and can easily be addressed.  In order to get a qualified, expert opinion on your surgical options and expectations visit a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Keith M. Blechman, MD
New York, NY

Dorsal hump reduction

Dorsal hump reduction is a common indication for rhinoplasty surgery. Your photos are limited so it is hard to determine if anything else needs to be done for the nose. Do your research of doctors specializing in rhinoplasty surgery and get a consultation to go over everything in detail. Good luck. 

Alexander Ovchinsky, MD

Nasal hump

Based on your pictures, i would recommend a consultation with a BC-PS and evaluate a possible rhinoplasty to reduce the hump, maybe refine the tip.
Best of Luck,