Should I lose more weight before having a Tummy tuck? (photos)

I am a 51 year old mother of six who had vsg surgery 19 mo. ago. I weigh 168 and I'm 5 foot 9. I still suffer from lower back pains from the weight of the pannus & skin carbuncles arise between the pannus and the mons area. I do appreciate the expertise of those who take the time to answer my question. Ideally, I would like to go into surgery for a panniculectomy or tummy tuck. In your opinion should I focus still on weight loss and at what point should I consider making a consultation appt?

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question. Congratulations on your weight loss!  What a great accomplishment!! For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Weight Loss Before Tummy Tuck

It is definitely a good idea to be at your ideal weight, or at least close, before deciding to have a tummy tuck.Women and men who have excess skin and/or fat around the abdomen which does not respond to diet and exercise are candidates for abdominoplasty. Many patients complain that they cannot flatten their abdominal muscles through exercise, which also means a tummy tuck may be right for them. Abdominoplasty candidates have: ·       excess abdominal skin which may sag ·       a disproportionate or protruding abdomen ·       weakened or separated abdominal muscles ·       excess fat concentrated in the abdomen Other tummy tuck patients may recently have lost a lot of weight and need to have excess skin and tissue removed. Many women choose to have an abdominoplasty following pregnancy. Older patients may be candidates for a tummy tuck due to reduced skin elasticity. You will be able to determine these factors on your own, and take all of this information into a local board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. Best of luck to you!

Dramatic weight loss, ready for dramatic results with a tummy tuck

Congratulations on your weight loss.  At 5'9" and 168 pounds, your BMI is only about 25, so you may be very close to your ideal body weight.  However, you are left with alot of loose skin from your weight loss.  From your pictures, it appears that you would greatly benefit from having liposuction and a tummy tuck to thin out your midsection and get rid of the excess skin left from your significant weight loss.  You appear to have slender legs and I would expect that your shape would be remarkably improved once that skin is removed.  Since you have had 6 children, it is likely that your muscles are weak and separated, so this could be addressed during a tummy tuck.  To get the best improvement in your shape, and not just remove the hanging skin, I would recommend a tummy tuck to my patients in a similar circumstance.  I would recommend making a consultation appointment with your surgeon now, since your  BMI is in an appropriate range at this point.  Good luck, I think you'll look like a new woman after your procedure!

Ian Lonergan, DO
Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

Should I lose more weight before having a Tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question. You will achieve a much better tummy tuck result if you lose weight first. Try to get closer to your ideal weight. It is impossible to adequately tighten the tummy when there is excess fat under the skin and inside the abdomen.

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photographs.I would recommend once you reach your goal weight, as long as you are in the BMI range of 30 or below, to maintain that weight for at least 3-6 months before having your surgery performed. If your BMI is higher than 30 you put yourself at a higher health risk and if your weight fluctuates too much after your surgery it can affect your results. So I would wait until you reach a healthy weight that you are satisfied with then have your surgery performed. It is important to remember to continue to live a healthy balanced lifestyle though diet and exercise even after surgery to maintain your results. 
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question and picture. Congratulations on your weight loss thus far.  Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with  body contouring surgery. Maintaining the stable weight for about six months prior to proceeding with surgery is ideal. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively.   Seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will  be your next/best step.  Best wishes.

More weight loss vs. tummy tuck

You have provided photos that clearly depict the results of a massive weight loss. Congratulations on your accomplishment thus far! Tummy tuck is NOT a weight loss operation but on the other hand, a tummy tuck would remove another 10 or so pounds off your weight. Your current Body Mass Index is about 25. This means that you are currently a good candidate, barring any restrictive medical issues, for a body contouring procedure to remove the drooping skin and fatty tissue.Be certain that your Board Certified plastic surgeon can demonstrate an exceptional amount of experience with this type of operation. You'll probably need a fleur de lys or corset type of tummy tuck along with reduction of the mons pubis in order for you to obtain the best result for your efforts.

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon