Which is better, juvederm or restylane?

What looks better and lasts longer

JUVÉDERM® and Restylane® are both great options. The choice will depend on your needs.

Both JUVÉDERM® and Restylane® are comprised of hyaluronic acid, a substance that is already naturally present in your body. The primary purpose of hyaluronic acid in your skin is to bind to and retain moisture. This is why injectable wrinkle treatments result in a smooth, fuller appearance. While JUVÉDERM® and Restylane® are very similar in this regard, there are a few key differences. Namely, JUVÉDERM® contains a higher concentration of hyaluronic acid and is a smoother texture, allowing it to disperse more evenly to a larger area. Talk with your cosmetic surgeon or a trained professional to decide which one might be the best option for you.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Juvederm or Restylane ?

Thank you for your question. There is no one best filler. What determines the best filler depends on your desires, facial features, anatomy, etc. I recommend having a consultation with an expert injector to determine the best treatment plan for you. Best of Luck!

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Juvederm or Restylane ?

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Juvederm or Restylane ?

Juvederm and Restylane are both hyaluronic acid fillers. Hyaluronic acid is normal component of skin. There are four different types of Juvederm, that are FDA-approved, available in the US, each with different characteristics and indications. There are 3 different types of Restylane that are FDA-approved, which differ in particle size, cross-linking of molecules and indication. The choice of the product used depends on the specific problem being treated, its severity and desired longevity. In expert hands, great results can be achieved by selecting the appropriate filler. I recommend consulting with a board-certified cosmetic dermatologist who can select the best filler for the problem that you would like to have addressed. 

Renuka Diwan, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm or Restylane ?

Renuka Diwan, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm vs. Restylane

Thank you for your question. Depending on your personal goals both options are great. Juvederm is an injectable filler that is derived from hyaluronic acid, like Restylane. Hyaluronic acid is a moisturizer found naturally in your body. Juvederm is created in a smooth gel, designed to make injections easier and results smoother. Because of its smoothness, some people prefer the results of Juvederm in lip augmentation and treatment wherever the skin is very thin. Although Juvederm can last for up to a year, the length of results depends on the area being treated, with lips lasting the shortest and under eye hollows the longest. Restylane is created with very small granules of hyaluronic acid, which has a gel-like consistency. The granular texture is intended to improve the longevity of results, and because Restylane is soft, its small grains do not generally create any visible bumps. For more information, I recommend getting a in person consultation with board-certified dermatologist.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Juvederm vs. Restylane

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Best filler overall

This is a terrific question - both are great, depends on the location of where you want to put what. I tell patients in general its like Coke and Pepsi - some people prefer one to the other.  In some areas on the face, I do prefer one over the other based on the nuances of the result over many years and thousands of syringes! It is essential to see a board certified dermatologist or board certified facial plastic surgeon who is very artistic and does this a lot! Best of luck and I hope this helps!

Lesley Rabach, MD

Best filler overall

Lesley Rabach, MD

Best Filler

There is no one "best" filler. However, I prefer the Juvederm family of fillers for a number of reasons.  First, they are the longest lasting fillers, generally lasting at least twice as long as the comparable other fillers. Secondly, half of their fillers are a totally different technology and are smoother and support the tissues better. Using a combination of Juvederm Ultra, Volbella and Voluma allows me to custom tailor what each person needs to achieve an optimal result.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Best Filler

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Fillers

Thank you for your inquiry. Fillers are hyaluronic acid and they do the same job. Some people prefer one product over the other like one surgeon prefers to inject with one brand versus the other.  Patient's  feel they have a better result or the product last longer with one brand. The best advice is to see your plastic surgeon and let them suggest the product for you after they examine you. Good luck!

Fillers

Juvederm vs restylane

There is no one best filler. The best filler is the one that is best for you. Cosmetic treatment plans need to be individualized to your particular desires, facial features, anatomy, etc. Have a conversation with a expert injector physician who you trust and feel comfortable with to ensure the best results. Dr. Rafal

Juvederm vs restylane

Which is better, juvederm or restylane?

Thank you so much for your excellent question. 

First , lets start with an overview of the dermal fillers that were approved by the US Food and Drug Administration over the last 10 years in order to understand the specific indications for each of them to achieve the optimal outcome.

Restylane-L  was the first product from the Restylane range to be approved for lip augmentation in 2012 by FDA. 

Restylane Silk (approved in 2014), which has been specifically designed for lip augmentation and correction of perioral rhytides.

Juvéderm Ultra and Juvéderm Ultra Plus, are FDA approved for the correction of moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds.

Juvéderm Voluma XC was FDA approved in 2013 for deep injection for cheek augmentation.

But overall differences are the following :

Restylane was the first FDA-approved HA filler in 2003, and the first Juvéderm product was approved by the FDA in 2006. Juvéderm and Restylane are the bacterium-derived NASHA products. Juvéderm products have a  much higher  concentration of cross-linked HAs, which accounts for their longevity, and they are soft and easy to use. However,  not ONLY  the degree of cross -linking can affect the product’s longevity but also treatment areas and the patient’s metabolism.

If you look at it carefully , you understand that no huge differences between 2 lines of product , in general. You realize that there is no universal filler that can achieve ideal outcomes in all anatomic sites or in all patients. Often a combination approach may be ideal. Some patients may also benefit from a combination of both dermal fillers and neurotoxin injections, either on the same day or at separate visits, which may increase the longevity of the filler.

Which is better, juvederm or restylane?

Juvederm or Restylane

Hi Lauren 

I have used Juvederm, it's predecessor and it's successor for 14 years.  I may have a biased view but in that time I have never had a complication such aa a nodule or a reaction or anything horrible happen over thousands of patients.

I commonly see patients complaining about long term problems with Restylane and Perlane. It does in the end depend on the injector as much as the filler but who wants to take the risk?

Kind Regards 

Dr Dinesh Maini 

Juvederm or Restylane

Hi Lauren 

Kind Regards 

Dr Dinesh Maini