Implant Explant and mastopexy, possible future implants.

I have met with several surgeons & all seem to have a different surgical plan which leaves me confused. Knowing I need a pocket revision I'm thinking the best option is to have a explant with capsule removal and mastopexy. I'll probably want a small implant B in the future im guessing ill be an A when done. Is this the best plan to have the explant, capsule removal & mastopexy to let everyhting heal & settle back to normal, knowing that I will want implants in the future ?

Options for explant, mastopexy, possible future implants

In complex situations with multiple options it is usually best to keep it simple and solve the primary problem first. It sounds like a simple explant with perhaps minor capsule removal or adjustment to allow even settling would be the thing to do first. Removing implants does not make breasts sag and putting them in does not truly  lift them. This effect is an illusion of volume fill. The need for a mastopexy has to do with where the nipple-areola sits in relation to the inframammary crease and would complicate things to do at the time of an implant removal. Once things have settled, the breasts can be assessed for the possible need for a lift or different implant. 

Boulder Plastic Surgeon

It's acceptable, but why not place your new implants at the same time. Everything will be opened up and available to adjust. Get your questions answered and choose the surgeon you have the best connection/most confidence in. There is no one best answer to this kind of case.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Implant exchange and breast lift - planning the best approach

Thank you for asking about your breast implant removal and mastopexy.
  • It is perfectly acceptable to have the implant and capsule removed and a mastopexy -
  • Especially if  you aren't sure you will need an implant.
  • But if your breasts are soft, you want a smaller implant and breast lift, it is reasonable to do at one time. .
  • There isn't a right or a wrong approach - but what you are most comfortable doing.
  • , Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC

Revision Breast Surgery

Every surgeon is different and when it comes to revision breast surgery, there is not always one clear cut answer.  Your case seems complicated and not so straightforward.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal

If a patient wants new implants, I prefer to do it at the same time. On the other hand. if a patient does not have a lot of natural breast tissue, a lift after removing an implant may be very difficult to do without allowing the tissues to settle down first.

Without an examination, no one over the Internet can tell you if you are a candidate for a lift at the same time as removal. If you have minimal tissue, especially around your nipples, the lift may not be safe to do at the same time. Most will replace the implants at the same time of removal if you desire. I would suggest going back to the surgeon you were most impressed with, and discuss your options. You may become more confused with doctor shopping.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon