I am seeking the best option for my body to fix a failed breast lift and augmentation? (Photos)

I am a 29 year old healthy female seeking to correct what I feel is a failed breast lift and augmentation. I had a "mini ultimate breast lift" surgery in February 2013. In addition to the "lift" I had a 205 cc(right breast) and 185 cc (left breast) Sientra implants placed. About 2 months after the surgery I made my surgeon aware my breasts were "drooping" and they have looked like this ever since. I would like to find out what my options are with the least scarring possible.

Options for Fixing Breast LIft and Augmentation?

I am not familiar with the term "mini ultimate breast lift" but it is obviously much more of a marketing tactic than an actual operation. Based on your photograph you actually had what is known as a periareolar or Benelli (donut) type of breast lift. The operation didn't so much as fail, but rather it was simply the wrong operation. This type of lift sounds appealing because there are fewer scars, but this lift has very limited application, it  minimally repositions your nipple and does nothing to lift your breast while at the same time tends to flatten the breast. When the Benelli (donut) lift is misapplied it will also frequently result in an irregular and widened areola with poor scars. Unfortunately you have experienced all of these negative consequences.

The good news is that situation can be made much better, but you have to be willing to except the scars of a more complete type of breast lift such as a vertical (lollipop) or traditional (anchor) type of mastopexy. When done properly, most patients find these scars to be very acceptable, and they will certainly be better than what you have now. It is understandable that at age 29 you may not feel that you should need a more extensive breast lift, but it is really the attempt to minimize any scars that has resulted in your current situation. Your photo also suggests that at least one of your breasts is positioned too high so part of the corrective surgery would also include repositioning of one or both of your implants.

Augmentation mastopexy a difficult combination

Dense, heavy breasts start off by hanging off the chest wall.   Put in a small implant, with our without a lift, and sooner or later, the breasts will hang off the implant that is on the chest wall.  Some breasts are just not as amenable to plastic surgery  techniques as others.  One option is to not use an implant and do a lift only.  With the breast in proper position, an implant can be placed later with maneuvers to position it in the stable breast envelope.

Mark D. Wigod, MD
Boise Plastic Surgeon

Options for fixing breast surgery

it appears that your breast implants are in a good position. I would think that you would need some sort of a breast lift. However, without the benefit of an examination I'm not sure if you would benefit from a vertical technique or if you need a traditional wise pattern mastopexy.  Seek the opinion of a board-certified plastic surgeon there are many good ones in Pittsburgh. 

John Paletta, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Breast revisions can transform

Based on you pictures, I would recommend a vertical mastopexy with small volume breast reduction, removing just a little tissue from the bottom central portion of the breast to tighten the lower pole of the breast, as well as elevate. The areolae would also be made smaller, higher, and more symmetrical. You have a "waterfall" effect now, in which the breast tissue hangs off the implants. The lift should correct this.

Also, your implants are high and a little asymmetric. I would likely perform a capsulotomy on each side (releasing the lower part of the implant pockets) to lower them.

Implant size could be increased if you want to be any larger.

Additional incisions would be needed, but patients generally feel they are a worthwhile trade-off to optimize the shape, contour, symmetry, and size of the breasts.

Of course your actual surgical plan would be determined only after a thorough consultation, to clarify your individual goals and evaluate your physical characteristics.

Good luck. Revision can be very satisfying when suboptimal results are achieved.

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Revision

You need a formal lift and probably a revision of your implants as well. You would have to be evaluated in person to see if there is a capsular contracture.

Revision options after augmentation plus lift

Without seeing your pre-op pictures or examining you in person, I can offer limited advice but it does appear that you needed more than a periareolar lift (the term "mini ultimate breast lift" is not commonly recognized.) You will likely benefit from converting to a vertical lift and perhaps lowering the implants a bit.

Richard Baxter, MD

Needs a lift

From your photographs, it would be my opinion that you need a formal vertical lift of the breast. Any lift that only removes skin around the areola tends to flatten the breast and not correct the hanging of the skin below the crease. Also, you may need the implants lowered with removal of the bottom portion of the breast capsule. In my hands, we see this not infrequently and it's rather easy to fix. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

I am seeking the best option for my body to fix a failed breast lift and augmentation?

Thank you for your inquiry.

After viewing your photos, your implants are sitting high in the pocket and you still have some excess skin from your lift.   In my opinion, you would do better with a vertical or full lift and possibly a different shaped implant to give more projection.   Unfortunately, you will have more incision scars on your breasts but that is what it will take to give you a better shape.

Breast lift

Thank you for your question and pictures. From the looks of the pics, it looks like the implants stayed too high and the breast are still droopy.  Unfortunately, I think that you will need some additional scars and lowering of the implants in order to correct this result. 

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Breast lIft

Thanks for your question and pictures. Based on your photographs, I feel that you will need an anchor breast lift. You have both excess skin and breast droop. You can also decrease the size of your areola if you want to at the same time. You will lose some size with a lift, since the excess skin will be removed. If you want more fullness you may consider exchanging your implants at the same time.