15 yrs post op Saline breast implants. Having so much pain in my right breast. The pain goes around into my back. (photo)

I'm afraid to get my breast checked because most of what I've been reading says I probably need them redone! I don't have the money for that so I'm scared they are gonna take them out and I'm gonna be left with hanging skin. So you have any advise. The pain is awful but I'm too scared to look worse than I already do. Thanks

R breast pain

Hello, I would recommend arranging a consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon to assess your breasts.  They will be able to help determine the cause of your pain and give treatment recommendations.  Once you have a better understanding of your options you will be in a better position to move forward.

Pain in breasts

If the pain you are experiencing is from you implants then you need to be seen to be properly evaluated.  Best of luck.

Breast implants

Thank-you for the question and the pictures.  I agree with your dilemma.  You need to get an exam with a plastic surgeon and have them determine the cause of your pain.  You may have to have some diagnostic tests and you will get definitive answers as to the cause of the pain.  Good luck!

Saira Saini, MD
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Pain

I would NOT panic about a possible infection.  Pain in an augmented breast can be from something other than infection.  You could be experiencing capsular contracture (scar tissue) in that breast, which would definitely give you pain and discomfort.  The best thing to do is have your board certified plastic surgeon examine you to determine what exactly are the issues.  This will give you peace of mind and then you can come up with a plan.
All the best to you! 

James E. Murphy, MD, FACS
Reno Plastic Surgeon

Pain with breast augmentation

This is usually due to a bacterial infection.  I would recommend total capsulectomy and reimplantation in about six months.  You can not a candidate for immediate reimplantation due to the infection.  Do not allow any doctor to stick a needle into your implants or you can be dealing with a severe chest wall bacterial and mold infection for months that is very difficult to treat.

Susan Kolb, MD

Breast pain 16 years after augmentation

It looks like you have probably gained some weight over the years since you were augmented. Consider seeing your primary doc, getting on a weight program, weight watchers help… Tylenol or ascription can help reduce the pain. The implants can be deflated by a plastic surgeon without surgery. A simple aspiration or needling of the Implant can deflate them which could relieve the pain. Get a job, even part time and develop a little nest egg so you can get a lift and replacement if indicated. Good luck...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Significant pain

Try starting with your primary care doctor. Shingles starts with pain on one side of the body and radiates around to the back. Eventually, a rash forms on the skin like chicken pox, but pretty incredible pain. Your breast does not appear red and infected nor deflated, so this may not cost you much more than a visit. Being personally evaluated is key. The history needs to be better clarified.

David Janssen, MD, FACS
Oshkosh Plastic Surgeon

15 yrs post op Saline breast implants. Having so much pain in my right breast. The pain goes around into my back.

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  Because this is a change in the sensation of your breast it is best to be evaluated by your ob/gyn and plastic surgeon t to ensure that nothing serious is occurring with your natural breast tissue or implant.  Once the cause of the pain is diagnosed the best treatment advice can be offered.  Hope this helps.

Pain in my breast 15 years after sailing BBA

It is difficult to say too much based on the photos that you have provided. It does not appear that you have capsular contracture in the photos but your story is very suspicious for it. It  is not dangerous to leave the implants in place but your discomfort will not get any better until the implants are removed and/or replaced. There may be a warranty with the implants. I would check with your plastic surgeon to see if there's anything they can do to lessen the out-of-pocket expense for you.  Good luck.