Full TT to repair diastasis & umbilical hernia. When to start working out? (Photo)

Surgery 6/2/16, Drs extremely pleased with my healing. I was extremely active before, in shape and never had fluctuations in weight. Muscles needed to repair due to pregnancy complications. When can I even approach my Pilates reformer machine? Or my dance cardio? Simple walking seems taxing. I'm a freak about following Drs orders and believe my resting and eating healthy has positvely impacted my healing. I know pushing myself is not wise. So I'm being patient.

Working out after TT

Thank you for your question.  Please ask your surgeon when you can start your activity. Also ask what type of activity and be very specific given that you were highly active before surgery. Best of luck. 

When to start working out?

Thank you for your excellent question and congratulations on your surgery!  In most cases patients can resume abdominal specific work at 6 weeks after surgery, but based on your specific procedure it would be best to clear all activity with your surgeon.  Keep up the good work!

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Exercise

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent surgery. Most patients are cleared to exercise six weeks following a tummy tuck.  It is best to have an in-person examination with your plastic surgeon for recommendations regarding what you should and should not be doing. Good luck with your recovery.

Exercise

Your surgeon knows best. I allow my patients who have your body and had your procedure and have normal healing to resume cardio and LIGHT arm weights after two weeks. I ask them to wait 6-8 weeks before any heavy lifting/straining or abdominal exercises. They ALL have decreased energy for many weeks and may not feel comfortable doing certain things after release from restrictions.

Again -- it is YOUR surgeon's advice you need to follow.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

When to begin working out post TT

I would follow your surgeons recommendations. Each surgeon has their preferences, and know what your tissues are like and how the repair went. They are the therefore the one who's advice you should be following.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

When to resume exercise after a tummy tuck

The strength of a wound repair has a fairly predictable pattern.  During the first 1-2 weeks there is little strength and the wound will easily break apart.  After the second week the strength increases dramatically and starts to approach final strength by six weeks.

So, most surgeons allow patients to resume normal normal activities after six weeks.
However, the second thing to consider is the inactivity you have had for the 6 weeks while you are recovering.  Generally, it takes 3 weeks of normal use to regain the strength of 1 week of rest.  So, although I let patients resume activity at 6 weeks, I don't expect a return to preoperative condition for 18 weeks after that.  

Samuel Beran, MD

Exercising after surgery

Congratulations on your surgery!

Talk to your doctor about what is recommended in terms of exercise as your doctor has had the advantage of examining you.

I usually recommend waiting 6 weeks before beginning physical activity. At that point I suggest starting with light activity such as a reclining bicycle. Then add in an elliptical machine without the arms. Slowly and progressively add additional exercises as your body tolerates. Everyone is different and some people bounce back faster than others. However, if you push too fast and do too much then you may interrupt your good healing. It is better to be patient at the beginning and heal right the first time.

Good luck!

Jennifer Boll, MD
Tempe Plastic Surgeon

When to start working out after tummy tuck surgery?

Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck procedure. Based on your description and photograph, it seems like you are doing very well and can expect a very nice outcome. I would suggest that you continue to follow your plastic surgeon's instruction; online consultants will not be your best resource in this regard.

It is true, as you state, that this operation is associated with significant recovery (physical and often "emotional") often underestimated by patients. Many patients will not reach full strength/stamina for 2 to 3 months after the procedure was performed. Continue to exercise patience; return to full activity in a very slow/gradual/careful fashion. Best wishes.

Full TT to repair diastasis & umbilical hernia. When to start working out?

Greetings

Thank you for your question and photo, 

After the breast augmentation operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will be advised to wear a corset in order to reduce the edema. You can start to do your daily activities just after the operations but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.