This is a follow up to my previous question re: thigh lipo nightmare. Any suggestions?

As a follow up question because I think my previous question did not address the correct issue. My question is how many times does a fat transfer need to be done to correct a outer thigh irregularity on average? Is there a maximum number of times it can done to the same area? Also, is it possible for an outer thigh lipo procedure to produce under fat layer damage?

To see the previous question, please click here. 

How many times can you get Fat Grafting....?

Basically,.....  Until you run out of fat.   There is no limit!  I doubt you would need more than one fat grafting procedure to correct this indentation, but it is possible.   I perform A LOT of fat grafting procedures and have for about 20 years.  Most of the fat survives!   But, fat survival depends on a combination of the surgeon's technique as well as patients following their surgeons recommendations.  
Be sure you find a surgeon who specializes in fat grafting.

Fat Transfers - how often can it be done?

Thank you for asking about your thigh liposuction question.

• Your photos suggested that excess fat was removed but didn't show evidence of deep tissue damage.
  • One can't predict how many fat transfers you will need.
  • The area is scarred - and this makes fat less likely to survive.
  • And with every fat transfer, only 30-70% of the fat will survive.
  • And scarred areas are tight so they don't accept a lot of fat.
  • I think you will need at least 4 transfer sessions - and maybe 6 or more.
  • The result should improve the indentation - but it cannot return it to fully normal.
  • Hope this answers your questions and I am sorry you are going through this.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Thank you for your question.  The number of times fat grafting may be needed is largely dependent on the size of the contour irregularity and the amount of fat that goes on to live with each transfer. This may be from as low as one transfer to needing several to reach a result you are content with.  There is no maximum number of times that  fat grafting to the same area can be performed, but there usually is a diminishing level of returns with each episode but it should not cause any fat layer damage.

Fat transfer to correct a defect

It is hard to predict how often it might be required. I will say that it often takes more than one time to get it done and may take several.

How many times do you need fat transfer

Fat transfer inside of a scar that has limited blood supply can be tricky. If too much fat is placed at one time some of the fat will not have access to blood and will not survive. Therefore, in these occasions, multiple treatments spaced a few months apart has a better chance of cumulatively correcting the problem. Your plastic surgeon who is seen you in person would be the best person to provide this information to you. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Fat transfer

Fat transfers are limited by the amount of scar tissue that develops. For the transfer to be successful, the fat need access to good blood flow. With each procedure, scar tissue develops that restricts blood flow. There are also other options of filling an indented, besides fat, area that can be discussed with your plastic surgeon.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon