How can I fix my nipples? (photos)

My nipples have healed horribly after a peri-a lift with implants. They are huge and scarred and now I cannot take my shirt off in front of my boyfriend any longer. I got implants to feel better about myself and now I feel worse. Is their anything to fix this issue ?

How can I fix my nipples after a lift?

Your areolas have widened with the placement of  implants and a peri-areolar lift.  The scars can be revised, once the tissue has healed, by using non-absorbable sutures.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon on your next appointment.  Best wishes.

Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

How can I fix my nipples?

Thank you for your question and photo.  Areola widening can occur with a concentric mastopexy and breast implants if a non absorbable suture is not used.  You can have a revision to correct the widened areolas.  discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  Best wishes.

How can I fix my nipples?

Thank you for your question.  Allow the tissue and skin to fully heal and soften.  A scar revision can be performed 12 months after your surgery.  Please discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Areolas reduction

Dear Coco,

Thanks for submitting your pictures and sorry for your problem. From observing your pictures, it appears that you had breasts augmentation with mini lift (donut, Benneli) . This is a very common procedure when you have mild to moderate ptosis (droopiness). It looks like your surgeon used non permanent purse string sutures or that for some reason your sutures stretched or broke. 

Your condition is quite easy to fix by redoing the procedure. If your surgeon declines to do it or you are not comfortable going back to him, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who do lots of mini lift surgeries. Check their before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they numerous, consistent and attractive with symmetry , nice size and nice scar.

Dr Widder

One of the downsides of that style lift

This is a very well known issue with the PA/donut lift. You could have a revision with a permanent suture placed that will take care of the problem, if you do not want any further surgery, you could elect to have the scars tattooed. Go see some consults with qualified plastic surgeons and someone will be able to help you!!

Areola issue

The scar spread a bit.  A revision with a permanent suture may improve it. If you do not want to go through that, then perhaps tattooing the area may help camouflage it.

Needs a vertical lift

Unfortunately, this is not uncommon when in attempt to avoid the vertical scar of a mastopexy, a peri-areolar mastopexy is done.In my experience, this procedure is best only in moving the areola a very small amount or converting a pointy shaped breast such as in a tubular breast into a more rounded shape. Now, the best option, if you are my patient, would be to place slightly smaller implants and convert the mastopexy to a vertical mastopexy. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Peri areola scars

Sorry for your experience

Cost-wise, if you can live with the large diameter of the areola, you can consider cosmetic tattoo to unify the color and shape.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Correcting perilift binelli

Hello and thank you for the question and the photo. Unfortunately, this is common with the perilift. The perilift is only meant to lift the nipple a very small amount. When it is used to avoid the vertical scar, it typically doesn't work. The result tends to be an overly stretched out nipple that is very flat. 

The key problem is that a lift tightens skin. In the case of a binelli lift, the breast skin is pulling outward against the areola skin. The areola is not as strong as the breast skin and this leads to the areola being stretched out to the size of the original skin excision. 

The permanent suture might be better, but always leaves a palpable string around the edge of the nipple / areola. 

In my opinion, the best option is to revise this to a lollipop type lift. The lollipop lift has the best chance of making the areola smalller as well as correcting the shape. the trade off is the vertical scar, which is permanent, but in most cases becomes a very thin vertical line. 

Best to you. 

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Correcting periareaolar scars

It is possible to improve periareaolar scars.  There are different ways to do the procedure but often it can be done in the office under local anesthesia.  Typically I'll remove the excess areolar tissue and "purse-string" the breast skin down to the new size.  There are limits to how small the areola can be made with the "purse-string" method because the tissue will get a little wrinkly around the border.  If it is just a little then it smooths out over time, if it is too much it won't look right and a "lolipop" incision is needed to remove the excess.  The "purse-string" method requires permanent suture placement in order to maintain the desired areolar size.  If an absorbable suture is used the areola will stretch back out once the suture dissolves and loses strength.  Be sure to address your concerns with your plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon