Very depressed. I am 5 weeks Po from full TT w/ lipo & feel very swollen. Is this normal or is something not quite right?(photo)

Swelling Post Liposuction and Tummy Tuck

Swelling post Liposuction and Tummy Tuck can last 3-6 months before it is completely resolved. Final results can take up to a year. It is very important to be up and moving around as well as wearing some sort of compression garment. You are more likely to be more swollen at the end of the day then in the morning. This will get better with time. Everyone heals at different rates, so you just have to be patient and give your body time to recover.

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

It takes 4-6 months for a lot of the swelling to subside. It really takes a year to see your final results.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Very depressed. I am 5 weeks Po from full TT w/ lipo & feel very swollen. Is this normal or is something not quite right?

Thank you for your question and series of photographs and I am sorry that your current results are causing you to be depressed.  It is difficult without an in-person examination to determine what may be taking place.  Most commonly this is residual swelling from surgery which will spontaneously resolve but it would be important to voice your concerns to your surgeon to ensure that other issues are not taking place - discrete fluid collection, muscle laxity, or residual adipose tissue. Having any surgery performed can lead to a roller coaster of emotions and many patients do experience a "blues" during their early recovery.  I think your results look to be very appropriate for your current stage of healing and though waiting is difficult,  allow a few more weeks to pass to start to see steady overall improvement.  Best wishes.

Normal healing process

From these pictures, you seem to have a great result so far! The lumpiness, swelling, itching and hardness after a surgery like you had typically persists at least 8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. In my experience, daily massage of the hard areas makes the biggest difference in getting rid of it sooner rather than later. It can easily take 6 months or more to see results. Your tummy tuck scars will usually flatten and fade between 9-12 months but can sometimes take closer to 18 months. Scar fading depends on your genetics. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeons for his evaluation and advice. Hope this helps.

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #tummytuck

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Concerns

I am sorry to hear about your recovery. However, it is always possible to have edema (swelling) up to 6 - 12 weeks post operative, sometimes longer if  other combined surgeries were performed. Next step would be to schedule a follow up appointment with your surgeon to discuss your concerns. Best of luck in your journey of recovery.