Bruising after facelift. Should I be concerned? (Photo)

I had a facelift on July 27, 2016. I had a large black and blue swelling behind my right ear after the drain was removed. It is painful. It has drained by my PS 4 times. The swelling has come down some but it is still present. They have done lymphatic massage and have instructed me on how to do it. Also using warm compresses 2x a day. Should I be concerned? Is this a sermona or hematoma? When can I expect this to resolve? Thank you ...

Cleared up now

So I am picking up this question 4 months after your operation and two months after you posted it so I would like to ask you, how has it turned out?

My guess is that it has settled and the bruising discolouration has also improved. 2 months is about the maximum time you would expect that to persist. 

Let us know how you got on.

Adam Goodwin

Hematoma after facelift

A hematoma can become recurrent after a facelift.  At this point it is important to open up the wound with a wide opening for allowing the blood to come out easily.  Although it might appear to be a setback but over the period of 1-2 weeks it heals very well.
Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon