Bruising after facelift. Should I be concerned? (Photo)

I had a facelift on July 27, 2016. I had a large black and blue swelling behind my right ear after the drain was removed. It is painful. It has drained by my PS 4 times. The swelling has come down some but it is still present. They have done lymphatic massage and have instructed me on how to do it. Also using warm compresses 2x a day. Should I be concerned? Is this a sermona or hematoma? When can I expect this to resolve? Thank you ...

Bruising After Facelift

It is still early in to your recovery. The healing process in general can take up to one month for the majority of swelling to subside, incisions to close, sutures to come out, and for bruising to completely go away. 

#Recovery time from a #facelift varies from person to person, but patients can generally expect to be presentable within three weeks from surgery. Patients should expect swelling, bruising, and discoloration of the skin during this phase of recovery (swelling normally goes down after 48 hours; most bruising will go away within two weeks). The marks from a facelift can easily hidden with “camouflage” make-up which you can learn how to apply.
The scars from a facelift mature within six to twelve months from the surgery date. It is during this time that the rejuvenating effects of the facelift will become apparent and the real result will be seen. If you have certain concerns about the procedures and #healing process, it is recommended to call your board-certified surgeon or their medical staff and discuss those #concerns.

Cleared up now

So I am picking up this question 4 months after your operation and two months after you posted it so I would like to ask you, how has it turned out?

My guess is that it has settled and the bruising discolouration has also improved. 2 months is about the maximum time you would expect that to persist. 

Let us know how you got on.

Adam Goodwin

Hematoma after facelift

A hematoma can become recurrent after a facelift.  At this point it is important to open up the wound with a wide opening for allowing the blood to come out easily.  Although it might appear to be a setback but over the period of 1-2 weeks it heals very well.
Regards
Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon