Would I be able to go back to work two weeks after a breast reduction surgery?

I'm scheduled to have surgery 15 days before I start back to work ( I'm a teacher). I've used a ton of sick days for my maternity leave this past year and frankly do not want to miss the beginning of the year with my students. My job is not very physical besides having to stand at times. The nurse who scheduled me said that my doctor usually likes her patients to be off for 4-6 weeks. This seems really long and unnecessary to me.

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question.  You should address this with your operating surgeon.  I tell my patients that they should be off 1-2 weeks, depending on their jobs.  The major concern is for those who have jobs that involve a high level of activity.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.  As you can imagine, every patient's recovery experience after surgery is different. Therefore, your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to advise you given that he/she knows your situation best.

Some patients, assuming they are doing well after surgery, are able to return to a stationary/desk job within 2 weeks. Patients who have more strenuous occupations may require more time off, depending on exactly what is involved at the workplace.  

Breast reductions

Many patients of mine go back to work within 7-10 days after a breast reduction as long as it is light duty and they are healing well. usually this decision is made at the one week follow-up appt or sooner.

Recovery from breast reduction

You probably will be fine to return at 2 weeks. It depends a little on the technique etc. I would ask your surgeon directly rather than the nurse. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Going Back to Work After Breast Reduction

It is possible to return to light administrative duty 2 weeks after breast reduction.  It may a bit challenging but can be done.  You will have to rely more heavily on your teaching assistant.  Best wishes.

Thank you for your question.  In my practice, patients typically take 1-2 weeks off after a breast reduction before going back to light work.  They maintain restrictions with no strenuous activity or heavy lifting for about 4 weeks.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon and to ask about their specific instructions.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS