Am I a good candidate for bulbous tip refinement? How can I find the best doctor to perform a bulbous tip refinement? (photos)

I have always hated my nose, but as I'm getting older it seems to be getting worse. At 46, I'd like to do something not drastic. I am not looking for a perfect nose. Just some refinement. Is this possible? I know my nose has lots of issues, but I don't want to change it completely, just slim it down.

Questions about nasal shaping

The goal of a cosmetic rhinoplasty (nasal reshaping), as well as any aesthetic surgery, is not so much to 'change' a body area, but really to restore naturally appearing balance that complements each patient's unique appearance.  There are certain aesthetic ideals that will improve anyone's appearance as well as individual characteristics that can complement each patient's ethnic and individual features.  Reshaping the nasal tip and bridge of the nose while preserving or improving nasal function are the fundamental goals of a rhinoplasty.  I prefer to address these issues with each patient and to utilize computer imaging and photography in order to clearly define the realistic goals of a rhinoplasty.  Be sure to look for a board certified surgeon with experience in all areas of aesthetic rhinoplasty and one with whom you can clearly communicate your concerns and expectations.

Nose

sc412, basically you need your nose done not just your tip and the best one to do this for you is an experienced specialist that does "only faces" and has a lot of good photos to peruse. Search the Internet and watch the video and good luck!

M. Sean Freeman, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty a wide nose and for the bulbous tip

A closed rhinoplasty approach can accomplish narrowing and straightening the bridge line, and reduction of the bulbous tip, with all of the incisions placed on the inside of the nose. To reduce the bulbous nasal tip requires suture techniques and a conservative cartilage removal applied to the lower lateral cartilages of the nasal tip. Rhinoplasty is a very difficult endeavor, so choose your surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience with the procedure. For more information, diagrams and many examples of bulbous tip reduction, please see the video and the link below

Bulbous Tip Shape

A bulbous or round nasal tip is one of the common reasons patients seek rhinoplasty. As mentioned earlier, rhinoplasty is perhaps the most intricate and demanding procedure in all of plastic surgery.  I too would encourage you to seek the advice of a top notch rhinoplasty surgeon in your area as there are several features of your nose that require careful expertise (crooked nose, deviated septum, wide nasal bones, alar retraction).  Good luck. A rhinoplasty operation has the potential to be very rewarding.

Brock Ridenour, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip plasty

The tip plasty is easy to perform and by removing some excess cartilage the tip can be made less bulbous and more defined. However, once that is done it might make the other issues in the nose appear more prominent like the deviation of the nose. You might be better off getting a full rhinoplasty done. RegardsDr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Yes, it looks like you could benefit from a rhinoplasty to narrow the nose both in the tip and upper 2/3's as well.  Good luck!

The bulbous tip is a common reason for rhinoplasty

Your question is a common one: refinement of a bulbous tip is a common indication for rhinoplasty. Based on your pictures, I would consider an open rhinoplasty, trimming and stitching of the tip cartilages to narrow, reduce, and improve symmetry. From your base view, asymmetry and collapse are visible, so specific cartilage grafts (using your cartilage) may be helpful, too. Smoothing of the bridge would also be beneficial. As far as finding the right dr for you, find a  surgeon who is a board certified AND focuses on rhinoplasty specifically. Websites are very useful to see before and after results and to get a sense of the doctor's philosophy. Good luck. Good question. Thanks. 

Steven Goldman, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Nose Refinement

It is the purpose of a great rhinoplasty to refine the nose and eliminate the flaws, rather than changing every nose radically. You would be a great candidate for a rhinoplasty. This is the most challenging, precise and most demanding procedure in plastic surgery. You need to find someone who has enough experience, does this surgery routinely and review the results in the website and more extensively in the surgeon's office and even have morphs done to make sure that your goals and the surgeon's goals are aligned.Good Luck

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD