Almost 20 weeks post op from septorhinoplasty and I still have obvious swelling in my dorsal area

I currently have a slight dorsal hump that appeared AFTER my splint was removed. No hump prior to surgery. My tip is also more bulbous than I would have liked. Dr. says there is still a chance dorsal hump will go down, he's giving it 9 months before doing rasping of it. Im wondering..if I have obvious swelling in my dorsal area then is that a sure sign that my tip still has ALOT of swelling and theres still a big difference in it to come? Everyone heals at a different pace right? Slow healer?

Swelling after Septorhinoplasty

It usually takes an entire year to see the final results of the nose.The tip of the nose tends to be the last part of the nose to heal.At 20 weeks, it’s probably too early to judge the appearance of the tip.However improvements in the dorsal hump can usually be seen soon after surgery.It is best to follow-up with your Plastic Surgeon for more specific questions.

Swelling

I would wait about a year or until  the swelling subsides before doing any type of revision. Best of luck.

Septoplasty swelling

Dear Reader,
Thank you for your question.  Here at Shumway Cosmetic Surgery we always advice our Rhinoplasty patients that full recovery takes approx. 12 months.  At that time we would address additional Rhinoplasty procedures for correction if needed.  Everyone does heal at different paces.

Keep following up with your surgeon and keep open communication.

Best of Luck!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling

In terms of rhinoplasty and swelling, you are still early.  At 20 weeks there can still be quite a bit of swelling in the nose.  And as you point out, everyone heals at a different pace.  I would continue to follow closely with your surgeon.  Best of luck!

Nasal swelling

It is important to give it at least 9 months as the your doctor suggested.  This we can be sure that everything you see is the final result and is not going to continue to change.This also gives the nose a chance to heal on its own and may be reduce overall swelling.

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling can persist for months after rhinoplasty.

Even at 20 weeks there can be a substantial amount of swelling that will interfere with a good aesthetic result. As long as the trend is favorable from month-to-month the best is to remain patient.

Dont Worry, its normal

Dont worry too much. It takes 10 to 12 months to see final results. Keep your PS informed with your concerns.
Regards

Dr hernandez

Post op rhinoplasty

It can take over a year for swelling to resolve. You probably have swelling in both the nasal hump and the nasal tip.  I would recommend waiting before considering a revision. That will allow your surgeon to make the best decision on what to do and give you the best outcome.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Swelling after rhinoplasty

Dear amyjob,
I tell patients that the changes after rhinoplasty can take nearly a year to settle.  It is not at all uncommon in rhinoplasty patients to have swelling after 20 weeks in any area, but usually under the tip and above the dorsum.  Any revisions I feel should generally not be done until after 12 months.  Only your surgeon will know what was done.  Patient also with thicker skin will also have more swelling in the postop period.  Hope this helps and good luck!

Dr Narasimhan

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Sherman Plastic Surgeon