I had a tummy tuck and vaser lipo 2weeks ago and I'm not happy about what I'm experiencing. (Photos)

2weeks ago I had a tummy tuck &lipo of my hips and flanks feeling very tight and swollen. I massage my self and it gets tight as soon as I stop I'm extremely fatigued in pain most of the time .Should I cover the exsion with something so the garment doesn't keep pulling my skin off? Does my stomach look like it should after being 2weeks post op? Could massageing make the excision area reopening? Is there anyway thing else I can do for the tightness and hardnessI? Very worried

I had a tummy tuck and vaser lipo 2weeks ago and I'm not happy about what I'm experiencing.

Sorry to hear about your concerns.I would recommend that you discuss specific recommendations with your surgeon. Every surgeon has their own specific post op protocol for their patients and your surgeon is the best resource when questions arise. They are most familiar with your medical history, details of your surgery, and how you are healing.  It's common to have pain and swelling two weeks after surgery. Areas of liposuction can be swollen. The lower aspect the tummy can be swollen as fluid settles. It can take 2-3 months for swelling to improve significantly.

Recovery after tummy tuck and lipo

I'm sorry to hear that your post operative recovery is not going as you expected. With this combination of procedures it is quite normal to have significant swelling and discomfort for several weeks after surgery. You should make an appointment to see your surgeon so that he or she can check for a seroma (fluid collection) and provide specific recommendations for your dressings. You should protect your skin- I like mepitel tape or biocorneum for this, but check with your surgeon for their specific protocol. Hang in there. Best wishes, Dr. Meghan Nadeau, Seattle, WA

Meghan Nadeau, MD

Healing after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photos and I'm sorry to hear things aren't going so smoothly. At 2 weeks after surgery it is quite normal to still have a fair amount of swelling and discomfort. Without a physical exam it is impossible to tell you exactly what may be going on. I would recommend that you see your PS, so they may provide you with specific recommendations. Best of luck, Dr. Kludt

Nathan Kludt, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and liposuction - not happy with healing

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck and liposuction.
  • I am sorry your recovery is proving so hard.
  • You should definitely cover the incision with gauze if the garment is pulling the skin off.
  • You should return to see yuour surgeon to be checked -
  • Your swelling may be normal for you and there is a lot of swelling after this operation.
  • Or you may have a seroma (fluid collection) that needs to be drdained.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS