My left side of my face paralyzed. Had an upper eyelift & weightsI Want to do a Facelift, is there something I can do? (photo)

So I fell 30ft from a tree and fractured my skull and lost vision to my left eye lost my hearing in both ears TBI and now 19 months later my left side of my face is still paralyzed and I've had an upper eye lift and weights inserted in my eyelid but I want to do a face lift to look somewhat normal again is there something I can do

My left side of my face paralyzed.

I am very sorry for your misfortune. If you feel that one side of your face is sagging due to paralysis compared to the other side of your face, a good discussion with a plastic and reconstructive surgeon who has experience in both facelift surgery and trauma would be recommended. He or she would be able to discuss with you the pros and cons and benefits of undergoing facelift surgery. He or she will also examine functional aspects of your face and will also discuss the possibility of muscle transfers or nerve transfers that may benefit you and increase animation on the paralyzed side of the face.

I am sorry for your injury. I have dealt with several cases of facial dropping after a temporal bone fracture or direct injury to the nerve. Unfortunately, attempts at dynamic repair of such an injury leave much to be desired this far out. Face lifting and tightening of the underlying structures can go a long ways towards restoring resting facial tone. The results can be quite satisfying. I would seek out a plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon for further consultation into this matter

Ben Lee, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Face lift for facial assymetry after trauma

I am sorry that you are having issues from your trauma and thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.
The lack of function is due to damage to the nerve that moves muscles to the face. unfortunately, after almost 2 years is very unlikely that major nerve grafting will recover the muscles. Use of botox to relax the forehead may help with symmetry. there are some other methods to help pulling the tissues upwards with cables, that may help obtained better static symmetry. Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. Wishing you the best in your journey

Thanks so much for presenting your case. There is absolute hope for you. There are a variety of facial nerve clinics throughout the midwest. Here there are plastic and facial plastic surgeons who specialize in the specific procedures for facial reanimation. These are different than regular facelifts as they aim to restore function AND appearance. depending on circumstances these surgeries can be covered by health insurance.

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox can help

Botox can help to re-balance your face muscles and make them more symmetrical.  A facelift can pull out the slack and also help re-balance skin laxity.  See a plastic surgeon for an evaluation.

Face lift after severe facial injury

Thank you for asking about your face lift.
  • I am so sorry to hear of your severe injury - and hope you continue to improve.
  • A face lift on the looser side of your face can be done for you by any qualified plastic surgeon -
  • But it will only support your face, it will not make it move better.
  • A re-innervation procedure brings nerves back to the face to move it - but the movement is not always entirely natural. The surgery is done by plastic surgeons specializing these procedures.
  • Since you are a young man, the re-innervation will probably be better for you in the long run.
  • Were you cared for at a University teaching hospital? If so, have a consultaton with their plastic surgery department.
  • If not, find the nearest, best University medical center and go there.
  • You can also consult a private plastic surgeon about a one-sided face lift.
  • Then you will know what is involved and can decide which you prefer.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Facelift following facial paralysis

Dear jasonbailey:So sorry for your problem!! Thanks for sharing your photo. This is a static picture and does not show the full extent of any residual activity. There are 2 basic options to help. 
  1. A static facelift which is an elevation of the tissues. This can be performed for the brow, face and neck.
  2. A dynamic facial re-animation where nerves are carried from the working other side to stimulate any residual muscle activity on the injured side, or use of muscles and slings on the injured side which will lift the brow, cheek and lip when stimulated.
There are other non-surgical options such as the use of Botox and the Silhouette InstaLift ThreadLift but these are limited. In both cases, I recommend you to arrange consultation with both the Departments of Plastic Surgery and ENT at your nearest or dearest University Medical Center for proper evaluation and review of your options. I wish you the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Facial Paralysis Rehab

I personally have considerable experience in such matters.  You have several options available to correct the position of the left side of your face.  There are what is termed static methods and there are dynamic methods. There are some methods that are very similar to facelifts and some that involve nerve and muscle transfers.My recommendation is that you seek consultation with someone who has done a volume of these procedures and then decide what suits your need best.Good luck...and remember there are methods available to help you.
Fred G. Fedok, MD FACS