Can I make my nose more narrow at the front without changing the profile? (photos)

My is not really flat, just wide and big all over. From the front, I feel my nose looks too prominent on my thin face. I would like to maintain a natural look....if my nose gets narrower will it make my profile view look even bigger on the bridge? Is there an option for me?

Rhinoplasty to narrow a wide nose

The nose is a three-dimensional structure, therefore when making changes to the nose they occur in a three-dimensional fashion. It is possible to narrow the tip and narrow the bridge only have a small effect on the profile. Rhinoplasty is a difficult endeavor,  So choose your surgeon very wisely based on extensive experience.

Changing nose

You have a straight profile. This is therefore not an easy nose to do.

When you change one part, it effects the rest of the nose. The whole nose will need to be modified to get a narrower, straight nose. This requires great skill.

Chose your surgeon carefully

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Refining your nose might require slight take down of the dorm to allow for osteotomies to narrow your upper 1/3-1/2 of your nose.  A balancing rhinoplasty would be key especially also to thin the tip.  Good luck.

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to have a nasal examination performed and review of your medical history to determine whether you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty. You should be able to achieve narrowing your nose without affecting the projection too much. Your nose may be narrowed with osteotomies and you may benefit from a tip rhinoplasty to reduce the size of the tip of your nose, if it is large or bulbous, which includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing and proportional to the rest of your face. Best of luck in your endeavors.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from reduction of the width of your alar base.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty Goals

A rhinoplasty specialist will be able to comprehensively address the issues you have with your nose. While there are a variety of approaches and techniques employed by various surgeons, it is up to you to do your due diligence to find a rhinoplasty specialist in order to achieve the best results possible. Looking at computer-morphed images with your surgeon during consultation will give you a good idea of what is possible, and also give you a great chance to convey to your surgeon what you envision.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Thank you for the question and photos.  You should be able to achieve a narrower and more defined nasal tip without effecting the side profile of your nose.  The length or projection of your nose can be maintained or refined as well.  I recommend that you seek consultation with a handful of board-certified plastic surgeons in your community.  Take a look at the before and after photos of rhinoplasty procedures that they have performed and judge which one may be best suited for you.

Good luck on your rhinoplasty journey.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Nose needs general reduction rhinoplasty

Your tip is wide as are you nasal bones.    A tip reduction plus an infracture of you nasal bones will give you a result with good harmony.    Your profile will remain the same My Best,  Dr Commons