I have a wide nose but my nose is not flat, can it be narrowed and still look natural?

My is not really flat, just wide and big all over. From the front, I feel my nose looks too prominent on my thin face. I would like to maintain a natural look....if my nose gets narrower will it make my profile view look even bigger on the bridge? Is there an option for me?

Natural Result after Narrowing Wide Nose

A natural result is always the goal of any rhinoplasty operation including narrowing a big wide nose. I need to see pictures to provide a more specific answer.

A cosmetic rhinoplasty can remove and reposition tissue in the nose for better aesthetics. This can include narrowing the width of the nose without affecting the profile view.

These are big movements that are often intended to create subtle, millimeter changes to the shape of the nose once it heals. The thickness of the nose skin can affect the overall result, however, an improvement can be obtained for most patients. 

See the link below for more info.

A detailed examination will help delineate the best treatment. Consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Narrowing nose

It is possible to narrow the nose and still have a natural result. Best to be seen in person.  Good luck.

Rhinoplasty candidate for wide nose patient

A full set of facial photographs are required to make a determination about being a candidate for a rhinoplasty procedure. A closed rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish narrowing a wide nose with all the incisions placed on the inside of the nose. To narrow wide nostrils requires an alar-plasty. To narrow wide nasal bones requires osteotomies. To narrow and wide and bulbous tip requires suture techniques and a conservative cartilage removal. For many before-and-after examples, please see the link and the video below

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your description, you may benefit from rhinoplasty.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Without photographs, it is hard to determine what you would benefit from most. I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to have a nasal examination performed and review of your medical history to determine whether you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty. Your nose may be narrowed with osteotomies and you may benefit from a tip rhinoplasty to reduce the size of the tip of your nose, if it is large or bulbous, which includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing and proportional to the rest of your face. Best of luck in your endeavors.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon