I'd like to know if creases forming at the side of my nose after having Juvederm under my eyes will go away? (Photo)

I asked for juvederm under my eyes. It looks great when I'm not smiling. When I do however, there is a deep crease or indentation to the left and right side of my nose below the inner eyes. The nurse said this will smooth out in a few days but I'm freaked out. It makes my face look distorted when I smile.

I'd like to know if creases forming at the side of my nose after having Juvederm under my eyes will go away?

Greetings. There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Hello ninabambina,

There is initially some swelling that takes place with filler injection.  It takes about 2 weeks to see your final result.  Before considering anything, I would wait that long.  You may need a little more filler to help with that line in two weeks.  The other option is to dissolve the initial product which is more of the worst case scenario option. In any situation, give it at least two weeks.

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recent Juvederm causing abnormal smile

It can take a while for the swelling in this area to go away. After about 2 weeks, if there still is a problem I would discuss with your injector. I think that filler in the medial cheek is needed but I wouldn't use Juvederm. Voluma, Restylane, Restylane Lyft, Bellafill, or Sculptra would work. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Fillers

The filler you describe retains water and can cause swelling initially. Give it a week or so to settle down. Best of luck.

Juvederm can be tricky

Juvederm is a hyaluronic acid filler which tends to absorb surrounding water for the first few days after injection. The provider injecting the material must be careful not too inject too much into the area and to inject at the right depth to prevent abnormal creases and pad-like areas that occur during smiling and facial expressions. Sometimes, excess puffiness and swelling in an area early on is due to the body's own swelling response from the trauma of having a needle injection. Therefore it is reasonable to wait for a few days to weeks to see what the final result will be. The good news is Juvederm can be safely reversed with an injection of hyaluronidase if you are not happy with the result. 

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician