Why are my breast noticeably different sizes? I had my augmentation a week a ago and just began to notice. (photos)

My plastic surgeon says it is because my breast were un ever before but I was never able to really see a diffrence through clothing. The right one ( the bigger one prior to surgery ) has begun to drop and from very nicely whereas my smaller one is still holding a lot of volume at the top so my doctor told me to keep wearing the compression tube top. You can mostly notice in the last 2 photos and the side profile shots. (before pics on my previous post)

I had my augmentation a week a ago and just began to notice my breast are different sizes = ask your plastic surgeon

Patients with questions and concerns about their breast augmentation healing process should address those concerns with the plastic surgeon that performed the operation.

Thank you for your question and photos. You are still very early in your healing and #BA #recovery. – The final #appearance, #shape, and #movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be #firmer. The #contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these #discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants #symmetry, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result. Best wishes!

Post breast augmentation

At only 1 week it is still early in the healing process after breast lift with augmentation and some asymmetry is to be expected. As the implants soften, settle and drop the breast shape will change. It can take 4-6 months to see your final results. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeon for his or her evaluation and advice. Good luck!

Dean Vistnes,M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francsico Bay Area

#realself #breastaugmentation #drdeanvistnes

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast Size Difference 1 Week After Breast Augmentation #breastaugmentationseattle

• It is not uncommon for breast implants to settle into place at different rates. 
  • One of your breast implants is riding a bit higher than the other.
  • Also, as you mention, you had some asymmetry pre-operatively, so you can expect to have some asymmetry after your operation as well. 
  • It will take a few MONTHS before you see your final results, so be patient.  You'll likely be very happy with  your final results!
  • Thanks for sharing!

Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Silicone Implants/Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Why are my breast noticeably different sizes?

The single largest influence on your result is what your breasts look like before surgery. During a consult I let my patient's know which anatomy/deformities can be made better (meaning size is guaranteed to become larger), but I explain the majority of things about your breasts will remain the same (if one is larger or smaller, one is higher or lower, one nipple is higher/lower or more to the side these differences will not improve with implants), and unfortunately, sometimes, certain things can look worse after augmentation. Best of Luck.

Why do your breasts look different?

If you had some asymmetry pre-op, you will likely have some post-op as well.  Also, it is important to remember that your breasts are two different surgical pockets.  They will heal at different rates, and one will likely settle quicker than the other.  Once you start massage, my guess is that your plastic surgeon will keep that in mind and adjust accordingly.  Best of luck!

Dropping of implants

Generally speaking, especially early in the post-operative phase of healing, it is not uncommon to have one or both implants appear to be high up by the clavicle. Although the “pocket” may be made correctly, the implant may not have access to the bottom for several reasons. If the overlying muscle or skin is tight, this will move the implant to the path of least resistance which is up and towards the underarm where there is little or no pressure. As the pressure relaxes, the implant will drop down to the bottom. Smooth implants, because their surface is slippery, may move faster downward than a textured implant with its rough surface. Because these variables mentioned above can be different for each side, it's not uncommon that one side will drop faster to the bottom of the pocket than the other. Similarly, sometimes one breast will swell more than the other or be more painful than the other early in the postoperative phase. After the first month or two, usually things will even out. It wouldn't be, in my practice, until four months or so has passed that I would entertain going back to the operating room to “touch up” the location of the breast implant in the pocket. Sometimes specialized bras or straps as well as massage and stretching protocols may be helpful in allowing this process to happen more quickly. Each plastic surgeon will have different thoughts on what the best protocol is for the patient. Your operating plastic surgeon will be your best resource to have this information passed on to you. I recommend that you faithfully follow up and follow the instructions of your chosen plastic surgeon. Congratulations on your surgery, and good luck on an uneventful recovery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling / Asymmetry

Thank you for your question. You are still very early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. The implants may swell asymmetrically, as in your case, but usually settle evenly. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.